eugenelim.2004

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
RAM: Crucial CT102464BA160B.C16 1x8GB -
MBD: Asus H81M-A
This is my Specs the thing is my pc is a prebuild and i change the gpu to 1050 TI so everything should work well together becuase its a prebuild right? but apparently my pc heats up alott when i game and i tried to increase my fan speed by 50% and i keep crashing .
So i need help if i can overclock my cpu or gpu and my fan because i found out my cpu is really bad compared to others in terms of fps in games so i wanna try overclocking it or my gpu to increase fps and right now i also wanna cool down my pc as it gets reallly hot i checked with HWMonitor and like my main board is like 100 degrees while browsing only!??! and when i game for a long time i touch the top of the case and its reall hott any help? even if i cant overclock cpu and gpu anyway to cool down my pc? im worried it might damage my parts even though its a prebuild it should work well?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You can't overclock if your temperatures are too high - as OC will only increase temperatures.

Additionally the 4460 is a locked processor so you're limited to OC base clock, which yields practically negligible results so there's not much point.

If you're reaching 100 degrees under low loads, I would re-paste and reseat your CPU cooler as it probably isn't seated correctly or faulty as first port of call.

vmarc41

Prominent
Mar 8, 2018
Thermals are the problem? Dont even overclock, it will only increase the temps even higher. The first thing to fix first is the high thermals. Check idle temps of both CPU and GPU. If its too high, consider repasting. Other than that, you could add more fans or change the cpu cooler to something beefier than stock, and maybe do some cleaning.

eugenelim.2004

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
You can't overclock if your temperatures are too high - as OC will only increase temperatures.

Additionally the 4460 is a locked processor so you're limited to OC base clock, which yields practically negligible results so there's not much point.

If you're reaching 100 degrees under low loads, I would re-paste and reseat your CPU cooler as it probably isn't seated correctly or faulty as first port of call.
ok i wont OC but is repasting the only way does it cool down the pc alot more?? and i do not know how to take out any part except the graphics card so i may not be able to reseat it theres so much wires :(

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well it simply sounds like your cooler is currently seated correctly. Simply repasting doesn't really lower temps unless it has been done incorrectly in the first place (or it has not been cleaned in years).

Even a stock cooler shouldn't be getting that high, which is what makes me think it is not seated or faulty.

If you're not comfortable doing this, take it to a repair shop. They will reseat and identify if you need a new cooler. That's if you're not comfortable doing all that yourself. The only way to cool down a PC is through physical hardware changes (outside of just increasing fan speeds).

eugenelim.2004

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
Well it simply sounds like your cooler is currently seated correctly. Simply repasting doesn't really lower temps unless it has been done incorrectly in the first place (or it has not been cleaned in years).

Even a stock cooler shouldn't be getting that high, which is what makes me think it is not seated or faulty.

If you're not comfortable doing this, take it to a repair shop. They will reseat and identify if you need a new cooler. That's if you're not comfortable doing all that yourself. The only way to cool down a PC is through physical hardware changes (outside of just increasing fan speeds).
alright ill watch some videos and try to reseat it by tomorrow and i will get back to you ok :) wait and you are telling me to reseat my fan or everything?

eugenelim.2004

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
Reseat the entire CPU cooler with new thermal paste (after clearing away old paste).
What cooler do you have?

uhm quick note i started playing fortnite and i realised that my mother board didnt increase in temperature but my others did now my pc is hot lol but my mother board didnt increase in temperature ... how is that possible lol

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
uhm quick note i started playing fortnite and i realised that my mother board didnt increase in temperature but my others did now my pc is hot lol but my mother board didnt increase in temperature ... how is that possible lol
How are you measuring these temperatures?
I suspect it is increasing temperature, but bear in mind the purpose of your other components heat sinks is to draw heat away from the component and exhaust.

eugenelim.2004

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
That's not a good thing.
Intel CPU should not really exceed 85 degrees, and kept below 80 degrees ideally.

If it's way above that with little load, sounds like incorrectly installed or faulty cooler.
i think i reached my peak i am having constant temperatures for past 10 minutes and its real hot lol my cpu is at 78-79 degrees currently but its real hot to the touch xD like i can still put my hand there but its hottt

EDIT: i have stopped playing and i realised that actually all my temperatures are on the high end but its still acceptable except a few that are 100 degrees plus
heres all that are at 100 degrees plus:
Mainboard
TMPIN2
TMPIN5
TMPIN6
thats all

Last edited: