Question NEED HELP!

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Heya folks,

I am building a new PC because mine is pretty old and I want to play games at a high FPS, while streaming. My current PC Has an i7 920 @2.66ghz, Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Motherboard, 10GB DDR3, GTX 970 and a Seagate 1TB SSHD. It is good for browsing the web but with games it definitely isn't the greatest. Budget is no obstacle but of course the lower the better because I want to buy some new peripherals as well.

SPECS -
CPU - 9700k or 9900k
MOBO - Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula or Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme
RAM/MEMORY - 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @3200mhz (Black)
GPU - RTX 2080ti (not sure what model or brand yet)
COOLING - Custom loop with CPU and GPU (Mobo as well if I go with the Asus XI Formula)
STORAGE - Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
PSU - EVGA Supernova G3 1000w
CASE - Corsair 1000D w/ x8 HD120 fans in the front, x2 HD120 fans in the back and x2 HD140's in the top

If you guys could help me choose what motherboard and what CPU that would be greatly appreciated. I will be streaming nearly everyday and I plan on overclocking.
Thanks in advance,
Fate05 =)

I would go with the 9700K if this is primarily a gaming build

Both those mobos are crazy high end and unless you plan on doing serious overlooking you can easily get away with a sub 200 dollar Z390 or even a Z370(with the correct BIOS)

32GB of RAM is overkill for a gaming computer right now

1000 Watts again is overkill unless you plan on going crazy with overclocking or adding a bunch of high draw things

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Hey

If you're serious about getting into streaming AND money is not necessarily an obstacle, you may want to consider a 2 PC setup, which is how some of the bigger streamers run things.

However, before spending any money I would try out streaming at a lower resolution, fps and bitrate with your current rig. This might help you decide whether or not you really want to take this route and spend that kind of money or not.

If so, there are plenty of guides and videos on dual PC streaming that you can find by simply googling them.

Of course, before spending any cash, it wouldn't be a bad idea to double check your final decision with someone here or otherwise. Good luck!

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Hey

If you're serious about getting into streaming AND money is not necessarily an obstacle, you may want to consider a 2 PC setup, which is how some of the bigger streamers run things.

However, before spending any money I would try out streaming at a lower resolution, fps and bitrate with your current rig. This might help you decide whether or not you really want to take this route and spend that kind of money or not.

If so, there are plenty of guides and videos on dual PC streaming that you can find by simply googling them.

Of course, before spending any cash, it wouldn't be a bad idea to double check your final decision with someone here or otherwise. Good luck!

I guess I could make 2 rigs. Then it means that I could kinda lower down on the price/specs of both, meaning they would only be a little bit more expensive than a single system

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
I guess I could make 2 rigs. Then it means that I could kinda lower down on the price/specs of both, meaning they would only be a little bit more expensive than a single system

Right, because one machine (presumably the primary) can focus on running the game, (good FPS) etc while the second computer handles programs like OBS or whatever you use etc.

You may not expect it, but if a game crashes or whatever and you're on a one computer setup, it will leave you in the awkward position of going offline just to restart your computer.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Right, because one machine (presumably the primary) can focus on running the game, (good FPS) etc while the second computer handles programs like OBS or whatever you use etc.

You may not expect it, but if a game crashes or whatever and you're on a one computer setup, it will leave you in the awkward position of going offline just to restart your computer.

Fair point. I will go with a 9700k for the main rig and a 3900x or 3950x for the streaming one I think. What GPU would you use for the streaming one? It will be powering x2 1440p, 144hz monitors btw. Was thinking a 2070 or 2060

Fair point. I will go with a 9700k for the main rig and a 3900x or 3950x for the streaming one I think. What GPU would you use for the streaming one? It will be powering x2 1440p, 144hz monitors btw. Was thinking a 2070 or 2060

A 3900x or 3950X are both massive over kill for a streaming machine. A first gen Ryzen 1600 would be more then enough to stream with, which happen to be on sale for about 100 USD (at least here in the US). You could even get a Ryzen 2400G/3400G and not have to worry about a dedicated GPU for the streaming machine. Either chip could most likely hand 1080P 60FPS streaming.

Now if you plan on do lots of overlays and such while streaming then a dedicated GPU is a good idea (and required with anything other then the 2400G/3400G), something as cheap as a GT1030 or better yet a GTX1050/1650 would be way enough

What's good about keep the stream machine fairly lower power is that you can get a small mATX or even ITX board and have a nice small quiet machine.

One last thing, if you do go ahead and get a 3900X for your main machine, it most likely will be enough to stream and game on the same machine if you do want to single PC stream.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I agree with @richiestang_78 If you want a single gaming/streaming machine a 3900X would do the job.

I think 32GB is too much too and 16 Gb would do. As far as I know, it's less stress on CPU memory controller to have two RAM modules instead of four. So if you want to get 32GB it's better to get 2x16GB than 4x8GB.

Also 1KW PSU for the list in post #1 is way more than needed.