Question NEED HELP

SlugBugBuddy

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
I bought an IBuyPower PC a bit ago and made a bunch of upgrades, which all worked perfectly, until I put in a GTX 1660 too, which kind of worked, but had trouble with multiple displays.
Eventually I figured after all these higher end upgrades, it needed something better than a 480W PSU, so I half dissasembled the PC (including the current PSU) while I waited for the EVGA 650W PSU came in the mail. I also installed a Corsair iH100 RGB CPU Liquid cooler while it was dissasembled.

(Is having the motherboard without power for 3ish days damaging and/or unhealthy)

After reconstructing the PC, everything seemed to work fine, but right after a few "automatic repairs" and restarts at BIOS, right about when the Windows 10 Lock Screen is supposed to apear, the GPU just quits and the TV detects no video input. Any insight would be greatly appreciated

The good news is I still have BIOS access and Mouse and Keyboard input

Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3
CPU: FX-8350 Black Edition
CPU Cooler: iH100 Corsair AIO Liquid
GPU: GTX 1660 Ti
PSU: EVGA 650W
Boot Drive: Kingston 120Gb SSD
RAM: (2x8gb) Corsair 1333hz and (2x8gb) Adata 1333hz DDR3

SlugBugBuddy

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
What parts did you swap out and did you do a clean Windows installation after doing so?
Swapped the original GT 710 for a 960, then eventually to my 1660 ti
Swapped the original FX-6300 for FX-8350
Swapped some generic 480W PSU for EVGA 650W
And added some HDD and another SSD, but those worked fine and didn't seem to be interfering

I do keep a Windows 10 ISO file on hand and that was going to be my next course of action, I just didn't want to have to wipe if I didn't have to

SlugBugBuddy

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
Looks like some of the OS files might be corrupt, system files as well as registry. Try doing a FRESH and a clean re-install of OS, if possible. Can you boot your system in SAFE MODE ?
Looks like some of the OS files might be corrupt, system files as well as registry. Try doing a FRESH and a clean re-install of OS, if possible. Can you boot your system in SAFE MODE ?
I probably could boot it in safe mode, but I think I'll just skip to the reinstalling windows, It won't take me long and I already have an ISO file on USB

SlugBugBuddy

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
Wiping the Boot Drive and reinstalling Win 10 with the ISO file worked! First thing I did was reinstall the graphic drivers, just in case. I should have known leaving a whole PC without complete power for days might lose a few registry files. Thank you all for your help, I owe you guys

You are going to have problems with that system under heavy gaming. That motherboard cannot handle an FX-8350 despite it functioning. Sooner or later you are going to have instability as the powerr delivery system on that board is not up to the demands of that processor.
Agree with this and adding an AIO is about the worst thing you can do with this board as you have removed a lot of airflow from the cpu area which includes the VRM’s which are known to struggle with 125w cpu’s.

SlugBugBuddy

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
You are going to have problems with that system under heavy gaming. That motherboard cannot handle an FX-8350 despite it functioning. Sooner or later you are going to have instability as the powerr delivery system on that board is not up to the demands of that processor.
The CPU power rating for the Mono is 95 Watts and the 8350 req 95 as well... And so far I've had 0 problems with it, but I'll keep my eye open

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The CPU power rating for the Mono is 95 Watts and the 8350 req 95 as well... And so far I've had 0 problems with it, but I'll keep my eye open

Incorrect the FX-8350 is a 125w CPU. https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-8350 https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-8350

It will run "fine", and in normal day to day operations probably won't have problems. But if you start playing demanding games, ones that push the CPU things will change. The board will degrade and quickly and you will find yourself with an unstable mess.

Search this forum you will find many people with this exact issue. Its one of the nails in the coffin to the FX series as AMD and their board partners pissed off a lot of people letting these faster CPUs run on these low end boards.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Upon further research, I found that the Gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 has a TDP form factor of 20 -140 Watts
At least from the retailer I bought it from
It’s a known problem with nearly all cheap AM3+ motherboards that claim to support 125w cpu’s. They use a basic 4+1 VRM and often no or minimal VRM cooling, this board comes under minimal at least. Prolonged high cpu usage (such as gaming) will very likely lead to cpu throttling from overheating VRM’s and even premature death of the motherboard.

SlugBugBuddy

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
It’s a known problem with nearly all cheap AM3+ motherboards that claim to support 125w cpu’s. They use a basic 4+1 VRM and often no or minimal VRM cooling, this board comes under minimal at least. Prolonged high cpu usage (such as gaming) will very likely lead to cpu throttling from overheating VRM’s and even premature death of the motherboard.
Thanks for the warning, I won't wear it out. I've added extra airflow to the case and I keep my room below 65° F. In the future I'll aim twords a TR4 socket Mobo and would you suggest maybe the Ryzen CPUs? I used to be very pro Intel, but the cost per core has heavily leaned twords AMD and I'd rather see AMD advance in this tech race more

Thanks for the warning, I won't wear it out. I've added extra airflow to the case and I keep my room below 65° F. In the future I'll aim twords a TR4 socket Mobo and would you suggest maybe the Ryzen CPUs? I used to be very pro Intel, but the cost per core has heavily leaned twords AMD and I'd rather see AMD advance in this tech race more
Unless you have a specific need for TR4 you should be looking at AM4. AMD is now a strong option again especially the 3000 series, unfortunately AM2 to AM3+ always had underwhelming CPU’s and they didn’t age well.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Upon further research, I found that the Gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 has a TDP form factor of 20 -140 Watts
At least from the retailer I bought it from

Again I know exactly what it says it supports. That motherboard is a 95w motherboard, I don't care what the retailer told you, its bad info. This was a common combination (really any 760G based motherboard) that was sold and should never have been. Its one of the reasons AMD's reputation was in the dumpster.

You will though, for example try playing any of the newer Battlefield games and you will. The problem is not the CPU failing itself but the VRMs on the motherboard which are not heatsinked and half the size they need to be for that CPU, and in removing the stock style downdraft cooler and installing an AIO you actually made it worse as there is nothing to cool the VRMs now.

TR4 is a waste of money unless you have a specific use for it. The new Ryzen 3000 series CPUs are killer, thats what your next move should be.