Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2020
Hey guys need a bit of help , my internet connection has a 2.4ghz giving 100 mbps and 5 ghz giving 200 mbps < now my ethernet cable is a cat 5 which supports up to 100mbps ofc , i wanna change it to either cat 6 or a fiber optic cable < which is better and which is supported by my motherboard cuz i dont understand how to know it supports or not ?
here is the link to my mobo https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/H310M-PRO-VH.html

Solution
I doubt you have a cat5 cable those have not been sold in many years. It is likely cat5e. Cat5e is rates to 1gbit at 100 meters. Cat6 does not give you any real benefit since the port controls the speed not the cable.

If your cable is connecting only at 100mbps it likely means it is defective. Check the nic setting and make sure the speed/duplex is set to auto.

If you are looking for cable what is key is that the cable be pure copper (no CCA) and have wire size 22-24(none of that flat or thin cable). Cat5e is fine unless you can find cat6 for a better price.

Fiber is not faster the only reason you would run fiber is if you needed to go more than 100meters. It is very costly and will provide no benefit in your situation.
I doubt you have a cat5 cable those have not been sold in many years. It is likely cat5e. Cat5e is rates to 1gbit at 100 meters. Cat6 does not give you any real benefit since the port controls the speed not the cable.

If your cable is connecting only at 100mbps it likely means it is defective. Check the nic setting and make sure the speed/duplex is set to auto.

If you are looking for cable what is key is that the cable be pure copper (no CCA) and have wire size 22-24(none of that flat or thin cable). Cat5e is fine unless you can find cat6 for a better price.

Fiber is not faster the only reason you would run fiber is if you needed to go more than 100meters. It is very costly and will provide no benefit in your situation.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS