G

I have a ASUS TX97, I know, I know, is old. I am trying to upgrade the hard drive and I wonder if a 7200RPM hard drive is compatible with this motherboard? Thanks anticipated for the help.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
The rotation speed of the drive shouldn't be an issue. What you should look at is the size. Some systems that only have support for smaller hard drives will choke (hang) on something that may be to large for it to support. Some hard drive manufactures include a jumper option to limit the drive to a certain size because of that problem. When that jumpers set the drive will be seen as a smaller size and then can be partitioned at full capacity with the software provided by the mfg. Without that option, if the BIOS hangs it's impossible to set the drive up without a BIOS update or an adapter card of some sort.

<font color=red>1GHz AMD x MSI K7T-Turbo x 512MB PC133 x 2-Maxtor 30GB/RAID 0 = Stream Line Butterfly</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If the drive is too large, you can set it manually as a smaller drive within the capabilities of your controller, then use special partioning software from the drive manufacturer to make several partitions that are treated as a single partition by the O.S.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I have seen you say that it creates smaller partitions and links them within the OS in other POST's. Do you have any links that you could add so I could see where your getting that information?

<font color=red>I AM WE TODD DID</font color=red><font color=white>, I AM </font color=white><font color=blue>SOFA KING WE TODD DID</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry, it's just the conclusion I raised from an assumption. OK, such software makes several partions...the software tells you that. It sets up a table for the OS that tells it the total size of the drive...you can see that when you boot. It defines the size of the partition as the size the drive is set to in BIOS, according to the instructions, if you do it right, according to the instructions. The partitions are sequencial-this is the assumtion that leads to the conclusion that they are linked in the MBR or whatever you call the little piece of info that tells the OS that the drive is one large partition when in reality it's several small partitions.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?