ncheather196

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I have a Vista pc and just got a laptop using XP pro. My son's girlfriend has a laptop with vista and she has never had a problem with the internet working for her, but my xp will not connect to the internet. can someone please help me?

ntadmin101

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Please check the following

How are you giving access to the internet to these machines?

If wireless have you checked to make sure the XP machine's wireless card is:
A.) Functioning - check device manager and make sure the device is powered on (button on laptop)

B.) Does the wireless card have a static IP address bound to it - start /run type cmd and hit enter, type ipconfig /all and review the information, or go to your My Network Places > right click the wireless card and choose properties > in the This connection uses the following properties, click on TCP/IP and then select properties. are dhcp and DNS set to use the automatic feature?

C.) The web browser doesn't have static Proxy information bound to it. open browser > tools >internet options . Connections tab > click Lan Settings to see

D.) Some form of MAC filtering isn't being used on the wireless router to prevent unauthorized connections. Get your user manual of call their tech support, or you could post the model of that router here.

E.) Check to see if you have any applications like Norton net security that is preventing access or some other firewall settings preventing the connections.

OK, that should give you enough to work on for a while. I'll check in with you later.