Need helping choosing right storage for college

Alex_154

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
I will be starting school this Fall studying Computer Science. I recently purchased a 2017 MBP (2.3GHz, 8GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage), as you could already see there is a big problem with the computer only having 128GB. I really prefer using MacOS but I didn't fancy spending an extra $200 for 256GB of storage.

I need help choosing and external storage, I was looking into buying this 128GB USB-C Flash Drive from SanDisk. I was also looking into purchasing a portable HDD, I would much prefer an portable SSD, but those are pretty pricy, not sure where to start here. I mainly need a storage solution to store my school files, and it also would need to be compatible between MacOS and Windows so it would need to be formatted to exFat. I will also be purchasing 50GB of iCloud storage from Apple for $0.99. I'm aware you get more storage for the $$ with a HDD than a Flash Drive but not sure which one to go with and what would fit my needs better, speed is somewhat important to me.

Solution
Definitely use cloud storage for current classes and projects. If your laptop is stolen and crashes, you can access your files from any other computer and still meet due dates. Next, consider getting a 1TB HDD for storage and backup of completed classes. The SanDisk drive would be good for personal media - movies, music, pictures, etc.
Definitely use cloud storage for current classes and projects. If your laptop is stolen and crashes, you can access your files from any other computer and still meet due dates. Next, consider getting a 1TB HDD for storage and backup of completed classes. The SanDisk drive would be good for personal media - movies, music, pictures, etc.

Solution

Alex_154

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016

I really like that answer, especially on a Mac once you drag a file to the desktop it is already stored to the iCloud Drive. I will only be purchasing the 50GB of cloud storage from Apple that should be sufficient. And once a term is completed I will move it all to the HDD for keeping. Thank you.