[SOLVED] Need Hot Noctua computer tips

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pngon

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
Hello!
I have a temperature problem with my computer and want to ask for tips on what to do. first of all my components:
CPU - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU
GPU - Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GameRock
MB - Asus PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151
CHASSI - Fractal Design Define C ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply - Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX

The problem occures when playing games. The CPU and GPU easely gets up to 80°C (176°F), even when i have set all the fan-curves to turbo mode ON, even on the GPU .
I had the top of chassi open to get the temperature down when playing games but it collects so much dust so now i want it closed all time...
Of what i heard the Noctua should do a better job at cooling, could it be that i need to reapply the paste or is my chassy to small to stay cool when closed (The Noctua have 1/1mm space left to the chassi wall)? would it be good to insert more chassi-fans(if possible)?
This keeps me from playing games and i would really appreciate any kind of help, Thank you!

I show you a picture of my computer: https://ibb.co/dLvfvMD

Solution
Here are my tips: I would place 2 140mm front intakes that line up with your GPU and CPU cooler fans, 1 140mm rear outtake and 2 120mm or 140mm top fans. Your rear fan in the picture can be placed a little higher, like only 2-3cm higher.

DSC-47644.jpg

I would also recommend other fans that deliver more static pressure like Noctua NF-A14's, the normal version or the industrial version (2000rpm) but the last one can be pretty loud above 1500rpm. Stock case fans are not bad but not super great either. If I were you I'd put the 2 stock fans up top and buy 3 NF-A14 Noctua fans (2 in front and 1 in the rear).

Stocky1984

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Looks good! And it seems your temps are down too which is the goal here. Top fans is not really a priority, the rear fan is more important than top fans. You can use CPU_OPT for other case fans in case you'd go for 2 top fans some time but you'll need to buy a PWM Y splitter for those 2 to work on 1 header.