[SOLVED] Need Idea for a project management software (free or paid)

wiomn

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
I need ideas or suggestions for a project management software. The main function of the desired program is quoted below.

"Students bid on a limited set of choices of the projects being offered. The algorithm then
attempts to place students into projects such that the overall project assignment solution provides
the highest ‘satisfaction’. Satisfaction is defined by a scoring methodology for assigning
students to their preferred project. The algorithm allows pre-assignment of students to a
particular project, closes projects after they have been sufficiently subscribed, provides a
bumping routine to move students around in finding a best solution, and eliminates ‘unpopular’
projects."

If you guys have any ideas about the programs out there that have this functionality it would greatly help! Im open to suggestions too!

Solution
I would keep it simpler.

Let the students make 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices from the list of projects.

Sort it out as best you can honoring the students choices.

Then use a lottery or draw straws to finish off the project assignments but allow students to trade.

Resolve remaining conflicts by flipping a coin. Again allow trades if viable.

And, if there are multiple semesters or sessions - those who ended up with a lower choice in the initial round get a higher choice in the next round.

Could also be somewhat performance based on the first round if you wish to do so.

All in all, in the real world project managers are really lucky if they get the most desired/desirable projects.

Especially if new or junior. They get what they...

USAFRet

Titan
MS Project + Team Foundation Server + a LOT of custom code for the 'Satisfaction AI' subsystem.

There is nothing out of the box for this.

"Satisfation AI", because you'll have to deal with "But I don't want to be on the Networking project, I want to be on the Drone Robotics project!"

Ralston18

Titan
I would keep it simpler.

Let the students make 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices from the list of projects.

Sort it out as best you can honoring the students choices.

Then use a lottery or draw straws to finish off the project assignments but allow students to trade.

Resolve remaining conflicts by flipping a coin. Again allow trades if viable.

And, if there are multiple semesters or sessions - those who ended up with a lower choice in the initial round get a higher choice in the next round.

Could also be somewhat performance based on the first round if you wish to do so.

All in all, in the real world project managers are really lucky if they get the most desired/desirable projects.

Especially if new or junior. They get what they get.

Often they have to work harder and longer. But could learn more in the process.

All in all, a good lesson in itself....

Solution