thirtyben

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016
I’m trying to find parts that match my needs for a new server machine that I’m building. I will use it for storage as well as run VMs (no more than 10 at a time). I plan on running 5 500gb HDDs I have in raid 5 for storage and I will run Windows Server 2019 on an SSD. I may also use a dedicated graphics card to provide extra VRAM to the VMs. I mostly need help figuring out which core components I should buy (processor, motherboard, ram). I have everything else ready. I hope to keep the total cost of the three below 1000$.

Lutfij

Titan
You haven't mentioned what application you'll be using to create and manage the VM's. From what I'm reading and what I know, your budget will hold you back unless ofc, I'm corrected after you mention what sort of app's/platforms you're using to go ahead with the VM's.

People usually go for Xeon's or AMD's Threadripper but the processor themselves are about 1000USD.

thirtyben

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016
I’m probably going to use Hyper V or maybe VMware. I am willing to go beyond my given budget if it means good performance but I was just wondering if there are parts that will perform okay under 1000$.

What will your VM's be doing? You need to figure this out so you know how many CPU cores and ram needed for the environment.

What version of server 2019 are you running? Do you have all the licensing you need for CPU cores and VM's?

Is this also a work environment or just playing around? I picked up a second hand HP DL380 gen8 and after upgrading it to 2 8core 16 thread cpus, raid 1 SSD for os, 10 3TB in raid 6 have less then $1200 in it. Most of the cost came from the platter drives and cages.

Last edited:

thirtyben

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016
What will your VM's be doing? You need to figure this out so you know how many CPU cores and ram needed for the environment.

What version of server 2019 are you running? Do you have all the licensing you need for CPU cores and VM's?

Is this also a work environment or just playing around? I picked up a second hand HP DL380 gen8 and after upgrading it to 2 8core 16 thread cpus, raid 1 SSD for os, 10 3TB in raid 6 have less then $1200 in it. Most of the cost came from the platter drives and cages.
Standard Desktop Experience.
I will for the most part be doing simple things with the VMs, like web searching, word processing, running simple software, and maybe light video streaming at most. It is for a more personal work and experimental environment, but it will be used locally in my own home. I have licensing.

TRENDING THREADS