Need info about monitors...

Justin9000

Honorable
May 9, 2016
Hey Guys!
I've heard about different monitors having different Hz. Could you guys please explain this "Hz"?
Right now i have a DELL 20 inch LCD monitor @ 60 Hz, is it any good for gaming?
How many Hz is recommended for gaming?

These are my specs :
i3 @ 3.5ghz
GT 610 2gb
12gb ram

I know i have to upgrade the CPU and the GPU, but when i buy the GPU is there anything i should know about the output it gives, like how far can i push the gpu on a monitor?
I'll be going for the gtx 1060 6gb , just since you ask.

Solution
kinda. your monitor can only show 60FPS or 60Hz.
the GPU may be able to throw 180 frames per second at the screen but the screen can only show 60 of them. you can limit the Frames rendered in some games so the GPU works less. the easier workload may enable you to turn up the quality settings. depends on the game.

RAMDAC=Random Access Memory Digital to Analog Controller. its circuitry that converts the digital signal the GPU renders into an analog signal the monitor can use. without a RAMDAC on the GPU (which the 10xx series is missing, most new cards actually) the output can only be a digital signal.
if you have a monitor with only VGA you will need an Powered Active Converter to use the old monitor with the new GPU. the Active...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Hz=hertz=per second
a 60hz screen can display 60 images on the screen per second. a 120hz monitor can display 120 images (frames) per second.
when gaming if you are on a 60hz screen having a video card that can render 250 frames per second will leave 190 frames unused but paid for in power consumed by the GPU.
AMD and Nvida have different sync techniques and when paired with a compatible monitor the GPU will render one frame for each Hz the monitor can display. they will be in synchronous operation.

the 10xx series have no RAMDAC onboard and do not support VGA. you will need to make sure your monitor has a digital input, Digital Flat Panel, HDMI, or DVI.

4745454b

Titan
In the old days of CRT monitors the Hertz (Hz) was the number of times the scan gun drew the picture on the screen. The more times it scans, the better the picture would be. LCD monitors don't scan in the same way but the hertz still applies. It's the number of times the picture is put on the screen. The higher the hertz, the more frames can be shown. And the smoother everything will look. 60Hz is pretty much the standard. You don't really want to go lower than this for most games. Or at least FPSers. There are newer monitors that support a faster Hz setting like 120, 144, 165, etc. 60Hz is fine. Whether the monitor you have is good for gaming is hard to say. You can't really look at one metric and say yes or no. 60Hz is normal, 20" seems small.

Justin9000

Honorable
May 9, 2016

Correct me if I'm wrong, so with my monitor I can only get 60fps even if I put all the settings to ultra?

What do you mean by RAMDAC?
Also what did you meant by the diff. syncing techniques by AMD and NVIDIA?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
kinda. your monitor can only show 60FPS or 60Hz.
the GPU may be able to throw 180 frames per second at the screen but the screen can only show 60 of them. you can limit the Frames rendered in some games so the GPU works less. the easier workload may enable you to turn up the quality settings. depends on the game.

RAMDAC=Random Access Memory Digital to Analog Controller. its circuitry that converts the digital signal the GPU renders into an analog signal the monitor can use. without a RAMDAC on the GPU (which the 10xx series is missing, most new cards actually) the output can only be a digital signal.
if you have a monitor with only VGA you will need an Powered Active Converter to use the old monitor with the new GPU. the Active converter will have a RAMDAC and will create the analog signal for the monitor

AMD has freesync http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/freesync
nvidia has g-sync https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync

each requires a compatible monitor. basically the GPU asks the monitor its specs, then the GPU will limit how many frames rendered to match what the monitor can display. when the game allows the GPU can work less rendering fewer frames. this reduces tearing and other issues. (crazy oversimplification)

Solution

4745454b

Titan
You'll only ever see 60 frames. Because the monitor can only show "60Hz", you'll only get 60 updated frames every second. Doesn't matter if your GPU can output 200frames, you'll only see 60 of them on your monitor. This leads to issues with "clipping" because the card made frames with changes on them, but you didn't get to see them. Because of this issue Vsync is used to limit the card to 60FPS so that you don't get the extra frames. Not everyone likes this however due to the increase in input lag.

What do you mean by RAMDAC?

I think he's talking about Nvidia removing all analog support in their 10 series cards. I'm not sure why he brought that up. If you are still using a VGA connection you'll have issues getting that 1060 to work. Dell I'm sure has 20" monitors with DVI support so this probably isn't an issue.

Also what did you meant by the diff. syncing techniques by AMD and NVIDIA?

This goes back to Vsync. When turned on, input lag increases. Both Nvidia and AMD came up with newer/better sync techs called Gsync (Nvidia) and Freesync (AMD). These allow your card and monitor to "talk" to each other and sync the frames while not increasing input lag. They are supposed to be all the rage now though I don't have an issue with my 60Hz monitors. If you are sensitive to input lag or tearing then you should look into them.

Justin9000

Honorable
May 9, 2016

So to avoid these tearing and other issues it would be safe to upgrade to a new monitor right? instead of using a converter like you said.

4745454b

Titan
Tearing happens. It's not caused by adapters. If your system can make 200FPS, and you don't have a 200Hz monitor, you have tearing. Think of a smooth line going from the upper left corner of the screen to the lower right. If this is done as a smooth line at 200FPS (Hz) and you only get to see 60 of them, you are not going to see a smooth line going from corner to corner. It's not because you are using an adapter or converter. Upgrading the monitor to one with G/Freesync can fix this. Not everyone is sensitive to this however. More so if you are playing a fast paced game. I'm sure there is clipping/tearing all over the place while I play games. But I'm so busy turning people inside out with my rocket launcher I don't notice. :D

I would upgrade the monitor simply because the 20" monitors I've seen are all sub 1080 monitors. If it lacks a digital input then there is another reason to upgrade. But again, without looking up your monitor it's hard to say whether is "good for gaming".

Justin9000

Honorable
May 9, 2016

What is the name of the converter?
This is my monitor model : IN2020mb
it was manufactured in 2010 , if that helps...

Justin9000

Honorable
May 9, 2016

This is my monitor model : IN2020mb
it was manufactured in 2010 , if that helps...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
http://www.dell.com/ae/business/p/dell-in2020/pd
http://i.dell.com/images/global/products/monitors/monitors_highlights/monitor-dell-in2020-overview4.jpg
the image says it all, VGA only.

As to the converter there are many cheap ones that are not powered. you need a powered unit.
https://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/DVI-D-to-VGA-Active-Adapter-Converter-Cable-1920x1200~DVI2VGAE
example only not an endorsement. units like this are powered by the USB and will convert the signal from Digital to Analog.
The converter will go between the GPU and the monitor

Justin9000

Honorable
May 9, 2016
I think I'll go for a new monitor.
I've got another question. I mostly do gaming and watch movies on my PC. So which aspect ratio is better 21:9 or 16:9? Also should I go for a curved screen or wide screen? Which is better?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
The vast majority of media, movies, and TV are in the 16:9 format. 16:9 is wide screen, 21:9 is ultra wide screen.
Monitors like keyboards and mice are very personal choices. I love dual screen 16:9 and have not seen a curved screen in person. if you can go to a store or two and look at the differences, you are the one who has to stare at it not me. find something that makes your eyes happy

Justin9000

Honorable
May 9, 2016

Could you please send a pic of your complete setup? I'm gonna try to build my setup and i need some inspiration.

Justin9000

Honorable
May 9, 2016

I just tried Hitman : silent assassin the other day and I got almost 300 fps, but you said i could get a max. of 60 fps.Why is that?

4745454b

Titan
The PC can draw 300 frames, but the monitor can only display 60 of them. Things like FRAPS count the "flips" that happen in the card, not what you see on the monitor. So the PC is drawing 300FPS, and your monitor is displaying 60 of them. That's what's happening. If you had a monitor that could do 144Hz or 175Hz then you could see that many frames.

Justin9000

Honorable
May 9, 2016

Yes i use FRAPS. and what do you mean by 'PC can draw 300 frames'?

4745454b

Titan
? Meaning your CPU and GPU are fast enough with the settings you are using to render, draw, or any other word you want to choose/use 300frames every second. The issue is your monitor is only fast enough to display 60 of them. That leads to screen tearing.

Justin9000

Honorable
May 9, 2016

OK Thanks!!