Question Need Install Tips

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
It's been 5 years, and while it's been fun, my 8th generation i7 Intel build is in need of a refresh.

Since I'm now 61 years old, I've decided to go all out on this rebuild, and go bleeding edge for a change.

CPU will be the AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3d edition.

Motherboard.

Ram.

Water Cooler System.

All going into this nice big case

I will be re-using my 2gb SSD (corsair) and my 800-watt power supply (also corsair).

You are probably wondering why I'm not getting a video card? It has to do with the fact I need to get this thing stable before I even remotely THINK about dropping in a video card. So I'm going to use the knowingly lame onboard potato with an HDMI port attached for now just to de-bug the whole thing (and maybe go on a couple of vacations first to see family) before I plunk down the serious out of control coinage I know I will need to secure a good video card for this rig.

Here's the thing: it's been a good 5 years since I last did this, and this time around I'm an early adopter, so I need advice from people who have already dealt with the growing pains I know I will run into with this particular build.

All tips are welcome, wish me luck!

Lutfij

Titan
I will be re-using my 2gb SSD (corsair) and my 800-watt power supply (also corsair)
Corsair is the brand of the PSU while 800 is the advertised wattage for the unit. Please include the model of the PSU. We could use the age of the unit as well. As for the SSD, I think you're referring to a 2TB drive? If you're recycling a prior platform's OS drive, you're going to have to reinstall the OS.

The parts all look to go hand in hand and you're ready to place that purchase! Rams should go into slots A2 and B2, while he best practice for any new build is to breadboard.

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
The Power supply is an EVGA 850 BQ, and is 5 years old (my bad, I thought it was Corsair lol).

SSD is Corsair MP 600 CORE (purchased Sept of last year) SSD.

I'm also using Windows 11 latest build.

I also have a noob question: what exactly is breadboarding (not familiar with that lingo lol)?

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Also, everything is already purchased.

The AMD processor, and the cooling system are TH recommendations, the moboard was picked from google research (multiple sites highly recommended it), and the ram came from the ASUS hardware compatibility list for the moboard in question.

The case I picked out myself as it looked like it had enough room for the AIO cooling loop. The case I'm using now is 30 years old (still has the original Intel P4 sticker on it lol), and barely has room for the minimal Corsair AIO liquid cooling system it has now. So yeah, it was time to bury the old case.

g-unit1111

Titan
All going into this nice big case

I will be re-using my 2gb SSD (corsair) and my 800-watt power supply (also corsair).

You are probably wondering why I'm not getting a video card? It has to do with the fact I need to get this thing stable before I even remotely THINK about dropping in a video card. So I'm going to use the knowingly lame onboard potato with an HDMI port attached for now just to de-bug the whole thing (and maybe go on a couple of vacations first to see family) before I plunk down the serious out of control coinage I know I will need to secure a good video card for this rig.

Here's the thing: it's been a good 5 years since I last did this, and this time around I'm an early adopter, so I need advice from people who have already dealt with the growing pains I know I will run into with this particular build.

All tips are welcome, wish me luck!

Are you buying a new Enthoo Pro? I had one and that thing was too big. I'm replacing it with something about 1/3 the size (the Lian Li A4-H20). I have an Enthoo Pro M that my other rig is in, and I like that case so much better. If I was building in a new Phanteks, I'd definitely go for the N7, love the aesthetics of that case.

Reactions: sitehostplus

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
I will be re-using my 2gb SSD (corsair) and my 800-watt power supply (also corsair)
Corsair is the brand of the PSU while 800 is the advertised wattage for the unit. Please include the model of the PSU. We could use the age of the unit as well. As for the SSD, I think you're referring to a 2TB drive? If you're recycling a prior platform's OS drive, you're going to have to reinstall the OS.

The parts all look to go hand in hand and you're ready to place that purchase! Rams should go into slots A2 and B2, while he best practice for any new build is to breadboard.

Went back and re-read your reply, and yeah I know exactly what you mean about the OS (Ms will flag it as a stolen OS, and try to lock it out). I'm going to call MS and get them to help me unlock that so don't have to buy a new license. Wish me luck on that one. 🤗

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
Are you buying a new Enthoo Pro? I had one and that thing was too big. I'm replacing it with something about 1/3 the size (the Lian Li A4-H20). I have an Enthoo Pro M that my other rig is in, and I like that case so much better. If I was building in a new Phanteks, I'd definitely go for the N7, love the aesthetics of that case.

Good, at this point I would rather be working with too much room, than have to break out dremel tools to deface a case that is too small. 🤗

Reactions: g-unit1111
The motherboard nor the cpu have a any discrete graphics at all. Your pc likely won't post and you will not have a display.

Please don't use an old mid-range psu on your new investment, especially if it's out of warranty. If money is an issue I'd suggest the 7900x over the 7950x.

What will the pc be used for? If a web browser it's total overkill, as a workstation would be great with a non-x3d, but if primarily for gaming the 7800x3d would be the best choice.

FWIW:
It is best to post BEFORE you buy parts.

Breadboarding is the process of assembling the major parts outside of the case
( like on a table) to check out that all are working properly.
If you have any issues, it is much easier to resolve them outside of the case.

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
The motherboard nor the cpu have a any discrete graphics at all. Your pc likely won't post and /*you will not have a display.

Please don't use an old mid-range psu on your new investment, especially if it's out of warranty. If money is an issue I'd suggest the 7900x over the 7950x.

What will the pc be used for? If a web browser it's total overkill, as a workstation would be great with a non-x3d, but if primarily for gaming the 7800x3d would be the best choice.

Really? Because I did the research on this. The 7950x3d has two very basic Radeon graphics processors onboard, and the motherboard in question is equipped with a HDMI out port. If that doesn't scream discreet graphics, I don't know what does.

Now granted, it's not going to run the latest and greatest games yet, but like I said, I just want to get everything else stable first before buying a graphics card. I haven't done this in awhile, and don't want to throw a 3d card in the mix just yet until I know the rest of the computer is running ok.

And after thinking about it, I'm going to spring for a new PSU. Money isn't the issue, but you're right. No sense having power issues I'm blaming on the other parts of the system. One less headache to deal with.