Question Need IP Help

ODuron

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2013
My router is a NETGEAR Nighthawk (R8000) - AC3200
Default IP Address is 192.168.1.1
IP Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0
DHCP is ON
I have several devices working fine with the above configuration.
I need to add a device with an address of 192.168.4.1
Currently the router does not see the 192.168.4.1 address.
Is it possible to add this new device and keep my default IP Address?

Why do you need to use that IP. Can you change the IP on the device to something like 192.168.1.250

You can do it by changing the subnet mask on the router if it allows it. This is not a recommended configuration for someone who does not have a good understanding of ip subnets. You might be able to use a secondary IP but it all depends why you are doing this in the first place. The best solution is to change the IP so you do not have to make a mess out of your network to use the device.

ODuron

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2013
Why do you need to use that IP. Can you change the IP on the device to something like 192.168.1.250

You can do it by changing the subnet mask on the router if it allows it. This is not a recommended configuration for someone who does not have a good understanding of ip subnets. You might be able to use a secondary IP but it all depends why you are doing this in the first place. The best solution is to change the IP so you do not have to make a mess out of your network to use the device.
The address 192.168.4.1 is a hard coded address from a AcuRite 06088-RX display (weather sensor/display combo). There is no mention from AcuRite or switches on the display. The display is suppose to connect to the router to stream weather data.

ODuron

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2013
Unable to change on the WAN side, but I was able to change the LAN Setup to 255.255.0.0. But the DHCP Server remained at 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254,
so it did not work.

Unable to change on the WAN side, but I was able to change the LAN Setup to 255.255.0.0. But the DHCP Server remained at 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254,
so it did not work.
Change subnet mask for router lan side only. Do not change wan side configuration.
Change DHCP service subnet mask also.
If you can't change dhcp service subnet mask, then manually set subnet mask for your pc to 255.255.0.0.

ODuron

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2013
Ok, LAN side only. I can change the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0
But the router is not letting me change DHCP mask, changes only in the last '.0' digit.
The PC is out of this loop, The communication will be between the Wi-Fi display and the router.

After looking at the manual for this device it is a rather strange method of setting it up.

The device actually starts out functioning like a router. You connect to is via its own wifi name and then put in the 192.168.4.1 ip address. It is completely seperate from your home network at this time. I suspect it has its own dhcp server and gives your pc a ip address in the 192.168.4.x range.

What you then do is configure it to use the real wifi network in your house. Although the manual does not explain I suspect it will change its IP address to use one it obtains from your router. It then seems to connect to the companies web site and it appears you control it via their web site rather than directly access it.

This is a extremely scary device when they do not clearly document how this works. I suspect it will function if you follow their instructions and be the dumb consumer who does not question technical things.

My concerns would be.

After it is running does it leave its own wifi network up, can someone connect to this network since it does not have any security.
Do they disable the the 192.168.4.x network and the dhcp server.
Since this device appears to allow access from the internet can someone compromise the device and then hack your network. All kinds of security cameras have been hacked.

I suspect it will work by "magic" if you follow their instructions, you do not need to change your router. From the little they document it appears this device can only really be used via the internet, it does not appear you connect to it directly or on your home network other than the intial setup. If there is no way to run this device without a internet connection maybe it is best to toss it the trash and find one that is more secure.

ODuron

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2013
After looking at the manual for this device it is a rather strange method of setting it up.

The device actually starts out functioning like a router. You connect to is via its own wifi name and then put in the 192.168.4.1 ip address. It is completely seperate from your home network at this time. I suspect it has its own dhcp server and gives your pc a ip address in the 192.168.4.x range.

What you then do is configure it to use the real wifi network in your house. Although the manual does not explain I suspect it will change its IP address to use one it obtains from your router. It then seems to connect to the companies web site and it appears you control it via their web site rather than directly access it.

This is a extremely scary device when they do not clearly document how this works. I suspect it will function if you follow their instructions and be the dumb consumer who does not question technical things.

My concerns would be.

After it is running does it leave its own wifi network up, can someone connect to this network since it does not have any security.
Do they disable the the 192.168.4.x network and the dhcp server.
Since this device appears to allow access from the internet can someone compromise the device and then hack your network. All kinds of security cameras have been hacked.

I suspect it will work by "magic" if you follow their instructions, you do not need to change your router. From the little they document it appears this device can only really be used via the internet, it does not appear you connect to it directly or on your home network other than the intial setup. If there is no way to run this device without a internet connection maybe it is best to toss it the trash and find one that is more secure.
The display I have, Model: 06088-RX. Has 2 connection paths, the first always on connection is to the weather sensor (wireless). The second connection is the Wi-Fi connection. The first wireless connection to the sensor is automatic, requires no setup and displays it's own signal strength. The second connection (Wi-Fi) sends weather data from the display to a weather service. Your right about the manual, not enough information is provided. It doesn't mention receiving any data back via Wi-Fi. After initial setup via an iPad Pro, the display shows no connection on Wi-Fi it's own meter shows zero bars and a 'X' on the antenna icon. It looks like the display is not connecting to my IP range. It does have some sort of mini port on the bottom of the display, maybe for factory updates via J-Tag?, who knows! That's also not mentioned in the instructions. The Display is Functional, the part that is not working is sending data to weather service via Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
I don't think it is actually using wifi but I don't know these exact units. Most these systems although they use the same radio frequency use a much simpler system. I know that a relative has similar units and from time to time a extra unknown temperature unit appears likely from someone else living close by. There seems to be no security at all in that system....then again it is not like the temperature outside is secret.

Although I am not that ambitious since these unit produce radio frequencies they have to be FCC certified to sell and that means there are extremely detailed test reports you can find on the fcc site once you find the fccid of the device.

ODuron

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2013
I don't think it is actually using wifi but I don't know these exact units. Most these systems although they use the same radio frequency use a much simpler system. I know that a relative has similar units and from time to time a extra unknown temperature unit appears likely from someone else living close by. There seems to be no security at all in that system....then again it is not like the temperature outside is secret.

Although I am not that ambitious since these unit produce radio frequencies they have to be FCC certified to sell and that means there are extremely detailed test reports you can find on the fcc site once you find the fccid of the device.
Given on the back of the display:
Contains ICID: 21098-ESPWROOM02
FCC ID: 2AC7Z-ESPWROOM02
From what I could find, the ICID is a 2.4 GHz communication module. The module is programable with it's own SDK, I would say that's what the un-mentioned mini port is for. The FCC info goes in to specs and programming the flash. Other info on the back of the display is the MAC address. It's hard to say what other circuitry was added without taking the unit apart. The other radio that communicates with the sensor wasn't mentioned in the FCC info, although max range was stated at 300 feet. So how the Wi-Fi handles the IP is still unknown.

Last edited:

ODuron

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2013
Well this issue comes to a close.
The display an AcuRite Model: 06088 is actually an AM receiver at 433 MHz and a Wi-Fi transmitter/receiver in the 2.4 GHz band.
The solution to the Wi-Fi problem was to reconfigure the router in setup of the TCP/IP, to the address of 192.168.4.1
This was not mentioned in the display instructions.