Need latest SATA chipset drivers for the AMD SB750 for Windows 10

stdragon

Admirable
So as the title says, I'm in need of help hunting down the latest driver version for Windows 10 compatibility. I upgraded an older Windows 7 computer to Windows 10, but it did not update the SB750 chipset drivers for the SATA controller.

This is for an Asus Crosshair III Formula AMD board running the AMD 790FX chipset w/ SB750

Back story - Performing a clean install of Windows 10 isn't an option unfortunately. There's some legacy applications that are registered and configured. It's not the OS, rather the install apps that I need to preserve. However, any SSD I clone the C drive perpetually hangs intermittently with event logs reporting the controller being non-responsive (I suspect a bug with I/O flooding or TRIM commands not being taken over AHCI). Hence, my need to ensure latest chipset drivers for this MB and Windows 10.

Later tonight, I might just install a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD to validate the theory that the old Win 7 chipset drivers are the problem. But if I can, I want to give this a go via an update first.

Solution
Update:

Definitely a bad idea to install 1.3 drivers. It went from bad to not working shortly after reaching the Windows 10 splash page. HDD light would remain on solid, and would stay that way forever if I let it.

Solution was just to perform a clean install of Windows 10. The SATA chipset drivers it uses by default is the Microsoft "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" (dated June 21, 2006). Works perfectly since.

Essentially, having the AMD SATA chipset driver was the nail in the coffin preventing a Windows 10 upgrade. I'll never use them again.

stdragon

Admirable
Update:

Ok, so I found that the latest AHCI published driver for Windows 7 is 1.2.001.0402, 03/29/2015. I'm currently at 1.2.001.0337.

That said, there is a Windows 8.1 driver that should work. 1.3.001.0276, 04/10/2015. I will try that and let you all know. If anyone knows of a newer one that's compatible, do let me know.

Thanks.

stdragon

Admirable
Update:

Definitely a bad idea to install 1.3 drivers. It went from bad to not working shortly after reaching the Windows 10 splash page. HDD light would remain on solid, and would stay that way forever if I let it.

Solution was just to perform a clean install of Windows 10. The SATA chipset drivers it uses by default is the Microsoft "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" (dated June 21, 2006). Works perfectly since.

Essentially, having the AMD SATA chipset driver was the nail in the coffin preventing a Windows 10 upgrade. I'll never use them again.

Solution