Question need media server for personal media with 'file explorer' view

coyote2

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I like Plex for video and music that I acquire.

But I also have a large collection of personal media files that I just want to see the filenames/size/date of, and I've discovered that's not what Plex is about.

I know that Windows itself has a DLNA media server, but I wonder if there is a better option? I want to run it on a high end Win10x64 system.

I guess by 'better' I mean quality of functionality like codec playback. And good support on smart devices (I've got a Roku Ultra, a Chromecast with Google TV, and an LG WebOS TV).

coyote2

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I don't think this is Plex shortcoming but rather DLNA protocol limitations. I don't think there is a way for media server to send this information (file size, date) for it to be displayed by the player.
Thank you very much for the reply, Alabalcho!

What I meant about Plex is that it is not designed to be capable of simply displaying the filenames etc. But if I go into File Info for a given file on my Roku Plex app, it absolutely does know the exact filename and size. (I could live without date I guess, but if the Plex Roku app can know filename and size I'm thinking there's no technical reason any DLNA server app couldn't know and serve date too. )

What Plex lacks is a simple 'File Explorer'-like interface. On the Plex forum people tell people wanting that to find another media server. And this Post is me trying to get help finding one.

Last edited:
OK, what you say now makes more sense, that you're using dedicated Plex app on your Roku. So, it is Plex' app limitation, not the server (since the app still pulls this info from the server).

I haven't powered my Kodi setup for a while, but if you can install alternate player on your device, and access your media server over SMB protocol (not over DLNA), I think you'll be able to see this info. Another option is to start hacking with microcontrollers like Raspberry Pi, and use eg VLC to access the media files.