Question Need MOB suggestion for Ryzen5 5600G build

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Hi, I am planning to build a computer to handle accounting software and surfing and watching videos. I am going to use the 5600G from AMD. But i am not sure what MOB to use.........any suggestions?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The issue at hand is going to be BIOS. The 5xx chipset was designed and released for 3xxx CPU. Any motherboard that has been laying around on a shelf, or if the manufacturer even still makes and updates BIOS for new sales, then you may well need to update that before it will work on the 5600G.

One of the easy ways that motherboard manufacturers have gotten around this glaring issue to is offer a system where you can update (flash) the BIOS without a CPU/RAM connected.

I didn't look into the model suggested above, but happened to look at the Tomahawk from the 550 line and it will not work without BIOS update. In truth, and as much respect as I have for what AMD did with AM4, this is a quagmire and solutions that are more sure to work readily are available from Intel in this regard. If you happen to have a 3xxx CPU laying around it wouldn't matter....

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Thanks for the info and i have 3 questions:
If i have a 5xxx CPU your saying that more than likely i will have to flash the bios of the MOB........is this hard? SHould i order a 3xxx CPU instead.......but i was hoping to take advantage of the increased performance of the 5xxxx. Also, what Intel CPU would you recommend?

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
ColGeek, do you know if the board you suggested has the issue mentioned by punkincat? also, the MOB you suggested does not have wifi..........does it matter if the wifi is built into the MOB or are the wifi things you buy and plug into your usb drive just as good as the ones built into the MOB

COLGeek

Cybernaut
ColGeek, do you know if the board you suggested has the issue mentioned by punkincat? also, the MOB you suggested does not have wifi..........does it matter if the wifi is built into the MOB or are the wifi things you buy and plug into your usb drive just as good as the ones built into the MOB
I don't know. Unless old stock, a more recent BIOS should be installed and thus compatible with your chosen CPU.

I would not recommend USB wi-fi. Install a PCIe device instead (assuming you have a free slot in whatever motherboard you choose). Something like this:

logainofhades

Titan
With regards to bios compatibility, it isn't a big deal, as long as you get a board with some kind of bios flashback utility. All of Gigabyte's 500 series board have their version of it, called Q-flash, for instance. For what you are looking to do, and what chip you intend to use, you really don't need an expensive one.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $89.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-01 21:31 EDT-0400