[SOLVED] Need modem recommendation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hunter1801a

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Installing internet in my new home and need a recommendation on a modem. House will be hardwired throughout, with a mesh wifi system. What should I be looking for?

ISP: Cox
Package speed: 150 Mbps

First off, do I need DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1. They recommend that for 500Mbps-1GB speeds, which I won't have any time soon.
Haven't decided on the specific mesh system yet, but most likely will be Eero. Not sure if that matters for modem recommendation.

Solution
Then I guess the question I should ask is what specs I need to be looking for. I can shop around locally no problem, but don't know what I should be looking for specifically to compare one over another. Costco has some decent pricing too, but again, need to know how to compare and what to look for in a router for my situation.
The specs actually don't matter with all the lies and marketing nonsense used to create noise for the consumer.

I wouldn't touch any of the $200+ routers as you can get used enterprise grade equipment for that price that will decimate the performance of the router. I also wouldn't get one of these because you can get 2x $100 ones that will give you better coverage.

I would stay away from anything with...
That's just an assumption for worst case scenario in the living room. I'm having a jack installed directly underneath, but I'm seeing a trend in some TVs to ONLY be wifi.

All our current TVs are TCL (Roku) and they do not have ethernet ports (stupid design choice). I'm buying a new one for the living room anyways, but have to account for scenario in which it may not have a port. Plus this current one will be going into the bedroom once I get a new living room TV, so I'll have that situation regardless.

I was also advised that I really should a tri-band router or mesh system. How necessary is that if the node will be hard wired? Can I get away with dual band? Tri's are usually more expensive by a lot.
Gotcha. So in those situations, I would just place an access point in those rooms. They'll feed other areas, but then your primary issue is eliminated.

Of course they will advise you to get that--they're making money off of you.

Your wireless is only as good as the wireless capability of the wireless client. If you don't have anything that can connect and use triband then it's a waste. And to be honest, with only 150Mbs, it's almost definitely a waste.

I can hit a couple of hundred megabits with my TL-Link Archer c5, my wife's c8, and older Asus rt-n66r, a Netgear R7000, a Netgear R6700--all 'end of life' dual band routers. These are results with a 600/15 and 500/50 connection at two different sites. As long as you don't have any airwave congestion, I don't see you having any problems hitting 150Mbps with even something as cheap as the tplink archer c7 (the better brother of the c5 like I have). In fact, it seems that at least locally, the c7 is in stock for $70 at most staples stores, so I'd just go and pick up 2-3 of these as they will be all you need, and you probably will end up not even using the 3rd one (depending on the layout).

If you ask me, I don't think you'll need a repeater or mesh devices in a 2 story 1500 sq foot place

I have a 1500 sq ft ranch, plus a single car garage. a single, centrally placed router covers the entire house and 1/8 acre yard just fine. at two stories, you have less footprint. unless you're all brick, concrete, or rebar construction you should be fine with just one standard router.

Reactions: SamirD

USAFRet

Titan
If you ask me, I don't think you'll need a repeater or mesh devices in a 2 story 1500 sq foot place
Agreed.
My house is 1800 sq ft, 2 story.
Verizon router at one end, first floor.
100/100 FiOS connection.

I get reasonable WiFi at the other end, upstairs.

I've also added a MOCA + WiFi source upstairs to get the full speed and other ethernet connections.
But without that, it is still reasonable.

Reactions: SamirD

I have a 1500 sq ft ranch, plus a single car garage. a single, centrally placed router covers the entire house and 1/8 acre yard just fine. at two stories, you have less footprint. unless you're all brick, concrete, or rebar construction you should be fine with just one standard router.
Holy cow, I missed where it is this small. Our Archer c5 has covered 1250sq ft easy, so I think you're right--an ap in the right place will do it--2x will be overkill, but nice if the radios are turned down on both.

hunter1801a

Reputable
May 8, 2019
How about a couple of these? On sale now for $100 each

TP-Link WiFi 6 Router AX1800
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...aa2d2a34d537341f0INT&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Edit: Just realized there was a 2nd page to this thread, so I didn't see all the above replies. Recommendation for 1 specific router if I'm aiming for just one to cover the whole house? If I need 2 (1 as an AP), then considering the above link.

Only concern I had was the fact that it's going to be in the closet. Walls aren't concrete, so not that big of a signal loss I guess, so 1 router may work.

Last edited:
How about a couple of these? On sale now for $100 each

TP-Link WiFi 6 Router AX1800
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...aa2d2a34d537341f0INT&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Edit: Just realized there was a 2nd page to this thread, so I didn't see all the above replies. Recommendation for 1 specific router if I'm aiming for just one to cover the whole house? If I need 2 (1 as an AP), then considering the above link.

Only concern I had was the fact that it's going to be in the closet. Walls aren't concrete, so not that big of a signal loss I guess, so 1 router may work.
Aside from the gimmicky nature of the marketing and maybe the device functionality, seems like it would be okay.

As far as signal losses, you'll lose more on the faster 5ghz bands than the older/slower 2.4ghz bands with walls and floors/ceilings. One of the best things you can do is find a router locally since if it doesn't work well for your situation, you can easily return and exchange. In fact, you could even pick up a few different ones locally and try out different ones and return what you don't need.

hunter1801a

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Then I guess the question I should ask is what specs I need to be looking for. I can shop around locally no problem, but don't know what I should be looking for specifically to compare one over another. Costco has some decent pricing too, but again, need to know how to compare and what to look for in a router for my situation.

The specs actually don't matter with all the lies and marketing nonsense used to create noise for the consumer.

I wouldn't touch any of the $200+ routers as you can get used enterprise grade equipment for that price that will decimate the performance of the router. I also wouldn't get one of these because you can get 2x $100 ones that will give you better coverage.

I would stay away from anything with wifi 6 unless you have devices that can actually take advantage of it. And now that I think about it, you won't be able to take advantage of that from an Internet standpoint anyways with only 150Mbps.

Reviews with some proper real-world testing like the ones by small net builder will be your best guide. Again, I won't spend more than $100 for one as you can get a separate router and access point that will be higher performance for $200 than the more expensive consumer offerings.

Solution