newtogaming25

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Ok guys I have decided I would like to build a pc unit. I want it to be capable of several different things. I want to play games casually but on high settings. I want to do minor photo and video editing but both of these things may intensify as my school career progresses. I also am a movie buff, so I want to be able to have a nice setup to view movies. I am looking to spend 2000$ max. I have never built my own pc, I am planning on ordering all the pieces then my bestfriend will help me put it together and I will continue to learn to do things such as over clocking and whatnot. I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out some builds please? I am also looking for a monitor that would be good for all things I listed.

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

newtogaming25

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
So are you saying the build in that article, the 2000$ build would be the way to go?
Im really confused there are so many different ways to go with this. I really want to make a system that will handle what i throw at it, but it seems that there are so many different combinations. Would it be easier if we discussed piece by piece?

I feel the hardest thing to choose is the graphics card and the motherboard.

mjmjpfaff picks good builds. Let me break it down as you've requested ;)

We're just assuming you need a monitor, and Asus makes some high quality displays. Dell is my preferred brand, as they make some great monitors as well.
23" 1920x1080 monitors are getting really cheap these days.

The i7-2600K has hyperthreading (as opposed to the i5-2500K, it's non-hyperthreaded sibling), which helps with intense photo/video editing. If you suspect that you'll be doing more and more in the future, you definitely have the budget to get it. If you're only going to do minor (i.e. every once in a while for an hour or two), you won't really take advantage of hyperthreading and might be better off pocketing the money because the i5-2500K and i7-2600K perform almost exactly the same in games.

The Blu-ray drive is simply so you can watch Blu-rays on your PC :)

Great board, great RAM, great price. The board will support Crossfire/SLI (dual graphics cards), as well as OCing, SATA III, USB 3.0, and the Z68 chipset helps a lot with video transcoding.

Very solid cooler at a phenomenal price. I had one on my i7-930 (HOT chip) and never hit above 55C at 100% load, and I ended up buying one again for my i5-2500K system (thought I could get a better cooler for a reasonable price - I was wrong). It should be able to sustain some high OCs if you ever try in the future.

windows 7 home premium oem- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986 80$ after promo code EMCKCHB36
Just your standard OS. Not much to say here.

I personally would get a Samsung F3 1TB and Cooler Master HAF 932, which would be around the same price total. The F3 is the fastest platter drive around thanks to its high platter density, and the HAF 932 is a great full-tower case that is cheaper than Corsair's 600T mid tower. If you don't want that big a case, go with the HAF 922 for ~$70 less.

I'd have gotten a 6970 if I could've afforded it at the time. That 850TX will be enough to power 2x6970s as well, and Corsair makes great PSUs.

This is the fastest consumer SSD on the market, and would make a great OS drive. You'll probably get ~30 second boot times, if that ;)
This isn't necessary for the system to function (you just need the hard drive), but it'll increase the snappiness of W7 as well as any major programs you install like Office, Photoshop, etc. IMHO, it's worth it.

I'm guessing mjmjpfaff just threw these in because he assumed you needed peripherals ;)

Total=1944$ not including mail in rebates[/quotemsg]