[SOLVED] Need more molex connector

Sep 1, 2020
I have only one cord on the PSU with 3 molex connectors connected to the DVD device, with the other two molex connectors plugged into an Icy Dock rack. My setup requires two additional ATA hard drives that also needs molex connectors. With adapters can any of the other PSU connectors be used? If so, what are the best recommendations or any other options?

Solution
Here's a link to the PSU. The specs says there are 6 molex connectors; however, there is only a single line with 3.

https://www.newegg.com/cougar-a-series-a760-760w/p/N82E16817553010

I have seen adapters sata to molex connectors. Do these work?

You sure there isn't a second cable with three? That PSU definitely should have six Molex total.

And I wouldn't adapt SATA to Molex. It's a bad connection. I'd just as well use a 1x Molex to 2x splitter instead. That PSU should be fine with that.

raykneale

Honorable
Oct 5, 2017
I use molex splitters ,they daisy chain from your existing molex connecfers ,
kenable 3 Way 4 pin PSU Power Splitter Cable LP4 Molex 1 to 3 Lead 15cm these are available on Amazon

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020
Yeah, there are some old parts, even running windows xp (offline of course). This box is being use to capture 8mm film transfer and configured this way to eliminate various issues that arise during a transfer.

I'm not that knowledgeable when it come to the distribution of power. The existing power cord with the three molex connectors, two connectors is powering a Icy Doc rack that contains 4 hard drives, with the third molex connector plugged into the dvd rom drive. If a splitter is used to connect two more hard drive to the same cord will the PSU be able to handle it?

Here's a link to the PSU. The specs says there are 6 molex connectors; however, there is only a single line with 3.

https://www.newegg.com/cougar-a-series-a760-760w/p/N82E16817553010

I have seen adapters sata to molex connectors. Do these work?

You sure there isn't a second cable with three? That PSU definitely should have six Molex total.

And I wouldn't adapt SATA to Molex. It's a bad connection. I'd just as well use a 1x Molex to 2x splitter instead. That PSU should be fine with that.

Solution
Sep 1, 2020
Just check it again.

There are 7 lines.
  • 1 line for 20+4pin
  • 1 line for 4+4 Pin CPU
  • 2 lines for PCI-E
  • 2 lines for SATA
  • 1 line for molex
Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. I'll go ahead and use splitters. Problem solved.