[SOLVED] Need More Molex Power Connectors (Fan & Temperature Display)

VirusVox

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016
Hey there!

I'm currently running into an issue with an older chassis I'm putting new parts into - I have 3 objects requiring Molex power - 2 fans, and a temperature monitor built into the front of the case. The power supply I purchase for the build is a Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 650 watt 80+ Gold modular PSU. It has one four pin to molex connector, thus taking care of one of the two fans. I tried to do some searching on Amazon (Canadian site), but couldn't find any power splitters for the second fan and the temperature monitor. Does anyone have any ideas where I can find a splitter for what I'm trying to achieve?

Solution
That PSU is a modular unit that has on its side four sockets to plug in cables to "Peripheral Devices", whcih means 4-pin Molex power outputs. It should come with four cable sets for these sockets, and often such sets have more than one Molex connector on the wires.

However, if you really do need a Molex Splitter because you have not enough of them, look at these on amazon.ca...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That PSU is a modular unit that has on its side four sockets to plug in cables to "Peripheral Devices", whcih means 4-pin Molex power outputs. It should come with four cable sets for these sockets, and often such sets have more than one Molex connector on the wires.

However, if you really do need a Molex Splitter because you have not enough of them, look at these on amazon.ca

https://www.amazon.ca/CGTime-2-Pack...keywords=Molex+splitter&qid=1585858665&sr=8-3

The second one costs twice as much, but it consists of TWO Splitters, each with THREE output arms.

Solution

VirusVox

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016

However, if you really do need a Molex Splitter because you have not enough of them, look at these on amazon.ca

https://www.amazon.ca/CGTime-2-Pack...keywords=Molex+splitter&qid=1585858665&sr=8-3

The second one costs twice as much, but it consists of TWO Splitters, each with THREE output arms.

I am so glad you asked me to check again, I have honestly no clue how but somehow I missed the peripheral cable with two molex plugs on it. Thank you very much for the help, and the splitter is something I will definitely keep a link to stored away for another time.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You're welcome, and thanks for Best Answer.

JohnBonhamsGho raises a related point. I did not ask for details of the fans you ahve and why they are powered directly from the PSU via Molex connectors. These days the easiest way, bu far, it to connect fans to mobo header and let them control the fans' speeds automatically according to temperatures measured by sensors. But you have an older system, and HOW MUCH older may be a factor. A really old mobo may have poor or no such headers. Even a not-too-old mobo may have only 3-pin fan headers. And of course, the type of fan you have (and its connector) has a bearing in all this unless you plan to buy new ones.

If you want some advice on changing how your fans (CPU and case) are powered and controlled, post back here with:
  1. Maker and exact model number of your mobo
  2. Maker and model of your CPU cooler (I assume a fan, not a liquid cooling system)
  3. Maker and model numbers of your case ventilation fan(s) - and how many of these
  4. Any info like maker and model for that temperature display system on the case front. Was it part of the case, or a third-party add-on module?