Need More Of A Gaming System!

G

Hi there!
Firstly, I'm sad to inform you that I'm kind of a newb when it comes to actual computer components and what's best. I have a basic knowledge, but little more. So that's why I'm here, at the advise of my pal.
I recently bought Final Fantasy XIV, and I wanna play it so bad. I had assumed that I would be able to play it on my newer comp. I just bought it like a few days before. Yeah, silly me.
Anywho.. the game won't even boot up on my comp. Like I said, I assumed it would run without a problem. Newb and all. But the game wont even boot up on my comp, since I dont have a graphics card!

So here's what I got.. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN#N337
an HP P6110f.. the motherboard chipset is Intel G31/G33/G35/P31/P35. It has 6GB of total memory. Video card is Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family with 320mb of video card memory.

Now I posted some info on some of my gaming forums, and one person suggested the following:
I just built a new comp for this game and went with a 3.0 tri-core processor and the new gtx460 graphics card. I bought these specifically because they were extremely cost efficient, and have very high potential. Meaning the gtx460 can be overclocked a ridiculous amount, and the CPU can (possibly) be unlocked into a quad-core black edition processor.

Now that sounds really cool. Something I'm down with. But.. well in regards to the processor, I dont know exactly what to get. Furthermore, Im not sure if I would need a motherboard update.. I mean, I dont know if the new processor and graphics card would fit in my current motherboard.

Is there anyone out there who can help me out here? I mean if I can get the info of what exactly I need to get in order to get this frankengaming system off the ground, i'd be real appreciative!
Thank you!

g048989h

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
rolli59 is right but couldnt he upgrade to a modest card. MB has open PCIe X16 slot. Card and a PSU, 5770 and a decent PSU for 200???
Jasama - your current MB will only run Intel so do not buy AMD CPU. Wait and see if anybody agrees it would be reasonable to upgrade Power Supply and VC together and just keep MB/CPU combo for a bit.

You will need a new cpu, a new graphics card, and a new power supply to replace your 250W psu.

If you tell us the resolution of your screen, we can give you some suggestions.

If you do this on your old PC, you need to realize you are "only" a motherboard and a copy of Windows 7 short of an entirely new system (reusing the other parts).

G

If you tell us the resolution of your screen, we can give you some suggestions.
The resolution is 1600 x 900 pixels with 32 bit colors.

Please let me try to understand all this.. alot of what y'all are saying is like greek to me. I need a new CPU, a new motherboard for the CPU to go with, the video card (as i said, i was looking at the GTX460 video card) and a new power supply.
The thought of getting windows 7 is very attractive to me, so mebbe add that to my little list of needs.

This sound reasonable to you guys? And are there specific brands or types of each you could suggest?

Please let me try to understand all this.. alot of what y'all are saying is like greek to me. I need a new CPU, a new motherboard for the CPU to go with, the video card (as i said, i was looking at the GTX460 video card) and a new power supply.
Let's go back and go slowly . . .

1) Adding a reasonable video card will require a new power supply as well. Any good card will need more power than your 250W can supply. These two must be bought together. At your resolution, a 5750 or a 5770 is all you need, but you may want the 460 that can drive a larger screen in the future.

You could stop there, and now your FF game will run. But your cpu is weak.

2) So you could upgrade your cpu. And maybe you should. But spending too much on a cpu is a mistake because you are investing in really old tech.

You could stop after a new cpu, but realize that you are investing in old tech, and are getting closer to the total cost of a current tech build.

=================================

So, i'm going to recommend an approach to you. Upgrade the vid card and power supply, and make sure these two parts are useful in a future rebuild. So, avoid the 5770 and use a 460 paired with a good quality ~550W psu. Here's at $270 after $10 MIR:

Palit 460 1GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261075

Corsair 550W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

You will have spent more than using a 5770, but you are better placed for future gaming with a larger screen. If you don't want to do that, use this instead:

Sapphire 5770 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102858&cm_re=hd_5770-_-14-102-858-_-Product

Exhausts hot air from the case, uses only two slots (not oversized), and saves $80.

Use your system, play the game.
============================

If that turns out to be not enough, you can upgrade your cpu. The two choices are an E8400 dual core ($170):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037&cm_re=e8400-_-19-115-037-_-Product

or a Q9550 quad core ($275):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041&cm_re=q9550-_-19-115-041-_-Product

Drop in one of those. If you went with the 5770, I'd save money and use the E8400. It'll run MMOs at your resolution fine.

Jaysama

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I love it. You gave me exactly what I need, Twoboxer. Dont get me wrong, I really really appreciate everyone's input! I'm gonna start savin money.. and i'm gettin the Palit and Corsair... and then if need be, I'll go with the E8400 dual core. And then.. mebbe even upgrade to windows 7.

Thank you so much. You've given me alot to think about. thank you!

FFXIV however really likes quad cores.

My own E8400 with a HD4850 just barely qualifies in the lower rez benchmark (1280x800) for FFXIV. a C2D w/ 5770 is still below the recommended stats of a quad core and a 768MB 460.

you WON'T be able to do high settings, and you'll probly have to lower a bit from standard in busy areas, but it should be playable .