Need more Pins

Madscientist712

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I have ordered a Gigabyte geforce 750 ti 4gb which requires a 6pin power connector.
I have checked my mobo (MSI A78M-E35) but I could not find a pci-e power connector. However I have 4 SATA 3 6gb/s ports and was thinking of getting an adapter for sata to a 6pin pci-e power connector. What im wondering is what pin is my sata. Do sata even come with different amount of pins? I have seen what im looking for but they all say something lke 15-pin and i dont know what pin my sata are. Help me plz.

BTW my pc is already built and i dont have enough power connectors left.
Also it is PCI-E x16.

Solution

Buy it, plug it in. Not a lot of things there to mess up, only two possible connections and both are very different.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

the pcie 6-pin power connector comes from the power supply

not the motherboard

8-pin_pcie.jpg

it might or might not come with the little 2 pin extra

Madscientist712

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

sorry what i meant was that i looked in my case for the pci-e power cable that came from the PSU and couldnt find one

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

return that 750 ti, and get a version that does not need 6-pin

there are many

otherwise you will need to get a power supply that has a 6-pin

Madscientist712

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Ive already ordered the gpu and couldnt i just get a sata to 6-pin pci-e?
Ill show you a link im just wondering if sata comes in different forms. I have sata 3 but can it come with more or less pins?

A 750 Ti, even overclocked won't draw nearly 150 watts. Many models can run off the PCIe slot power which is limited to 75 watts. Peak power for the card is under 90 even for the higher end version.

To the OP, what is the brand / model of the power supply. Would be a bit odd for a new build to end up with a power supply without even one PCIe power connection, unless you used a very poor quality power supply.

Madscientist712

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

I do have 500W PSU, so that is fine, but no i do mean SATA.
Im good at computers, not making them sadly. I know what you mean by molex but th thing is i would have used them, if i had any left. My side fans on the case (CiT Vantage) use four but I can connect another to it but the only others are at the front for the HDD. I could link them though I would not have enough length to do so. I'd have to order even more cables to make it reach. However I have seen cables where they use two SATA's to make 1 6-Pin PCI-E x16 Power Connector. That would be easier though what i dont know, cause im a scrub, is can sata 3 come in different pin numbers ie 15-pin etc.

Madscientist712

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Well seeing as my computer was pre-built. I am not fully sure, however I believe it is for the model of my case. So something like a CiT Vantage PSU? Its 500W btw.

Madscientist712

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Yes so what the question is, is do SATA 3 come with different amounts of pins as i dont want to get a cable that doesnt fit my sata ports.

That would explain the lack of connections, many OEM systems use cheap power supplies to lower selling price, and often use slow video cards even in systems they call "gaming". Open the case and look at the power supply, it should have some markings on there as to the model and who made it. But now that we know it came from a pre-built system, it's not too surprising it's not good.

Madscientist712

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Ye I had a good look but couldn't seem o find it, all it said was like what each colour wire gave in terms of power. But I'll have another look.

[UPDATE] So I had a look and it said ATX Switching Power Supply Model: ATX-500B
It looks like this
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=atx+switching+power+supply+atx-500b&espv=2&biw=1440&bih=789&tbm=isch&imgil=Ajbqj7pP-7SoQM%253A%253B6OAnELgelOriBM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.microton.co.uk%25252FOEM-ATX500B-ATX-Switching-500W-Power-Supply&source=iu&pf=m&fir=Ajbqj7pP-7SoQM%253A%252C6OAnELgelOriBM%252C_&usg=__T1hVJR3wFLOr7aMGZCZKVjTShZk%3D&ved=0ahUKEwitttufqIHKAhXI1RQKHakTDPgQyjcIcg&ei=QJ2CVq2WFMirU6mnsMAP#imgrc=Ajbqj7pP-7SoQM%3A&usg=__T1hVJR3wFLOr7aMGZCZKVjTShZk%3D

If you want to make sure your PC and video card live till next year, I suggest you replace that thing. It's a very low quality power supply, I doubt it runs like a 400 watt power supply much less a 500 watt one. Those power supplies are one step over using a brick to power your system.

While we normally don't recommend Corsair CX models, this is $30 after rebate and is much much better than what you have in the system now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

or this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438016

Madscientist712

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

I know what saying, but unfortunately I just spent all the money I had on my GPU. Right now I dont have the money over £16. Also my Pc has survived for a year completely stable. If I have enough ill wait until I have enough for a PSU before putting my card in.
Back to the question though. If I do put it in ill need a sata to 6-pin adapter. but does SATA 3 come with different amounts of pins? And if so how do I find out how many mine have?

Buy it, plug it in. Not a lot of things there to mess up, only two possible connections and both are very different.

Solution

Madscientist712

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

where do i plug it in though?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

sata-hard-drive-power-cable-connector.jpg