Need more room for GPU; Mobo recommendations

squee116

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Hey all,

I have an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4. I have a 7950 that runs a little hot, and would like to add an aftermarket cooler. As it stands, it blocks one of the RAM slots, and I'm worried it may block a second by adding the cooler.

I'm looking for a ATX Mobo with more room for my RAM and GPU, and can still overclock my i5-3570k(currently at 4.2ghz).

ad0

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
Any that you like will do. but will lots of Ventilation since you are overclocking

Right if you want to use remove your mb from your atx

ryan27968

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
that is a bit strange that it blocks one of the ram slots. get an asus or gigabyte gaming board if you want to replace it(they are more reliable than asrock). but there is an alternative. if you install a water block on it, it will actually take up LESS space than it is currently(if you are up to the challenge) there is a guide here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kF-Hf-z1Jk if you want to install an aftermarket air cooler, i doubt it will take more space than your current one.

squee116

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
I'm not sure I'm ready to make the jump to water cooling yet, as it seems to be pretty technical, and the idea of running water through an enclosed space with running electronics just doesn't excite me in a good way... yet. The video was a good guide, but getting the whole water cooling system running seems to be pretty complicated.

Am I the only having this problem with space between GPU and RAM on the Asrock?