Question Need more space on my NAS - what are my upgrade options?

Randy_baton

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
I have a Synology DS418J 4 Bay (https://global.download.synology.com/download/Document/Hardware/DataSheet/DiskStation/18-year/DS418j/enu/Synology_DS418j_Data_Sheet_enu.pdf)

Its currently set up with 2 x 9tb drives in raid 1 housing my media and 2 x 4tb drives backing up my C drive.

Ideally I just replace all the drives with 12tb but can't afford that at the moment.

What i was thinking is replacing the 2 x 4TB drives with 2 x 12tb drives and splitting my media - Films on one Raid and TV on the other and fitting my C drive backup onto which ever has the most amount of space left over.

If i was to stick all drives into raid 10 rather then 2 x raid 1, I believe I'd be getting 2 x the smallest drive, so 18tb rather than 21tb i'd get in 2 x raid 1. Is the lost space accessible in any way I.e. not in raid or is it just lost?

If in the future I want to buy 2x more 12TB to replace the 9tb, how would i do the upgrade? I have enough spare drives lying around to copy the 9 TB onto a couple of drives if I have to, but would I have to also do that with the 12tb drives or can I go from 2 drive Raid 1 to 4 drive raid 10 without losing data?

If I set up raid 10 with 2x 9th and 2 x12 tb could i just swap out the 2 x 9 tb with 2 x 12tb and increase the capacity or would I have to rebuild the whole raid and move my data elsewhere temporarily

I have a Synology DS418J 4 Bay (https://global.download.synology.com/download/Document/Hardware/DataSheet/DiskStation/18-year/DS418j/enu/Synology_DS418j_Data_Sheet_enu.pdf)

Its currently set up with 2 x 9tb drives in raid 1 housing my media and 2 x 4tb drives backing up my C drive.

Ideally I just replace all the drives with 12tb but can't afford that at the moment.

What i was thinking is replacing the 2 x 4TB drives with 2 x 12tb drives and splitting my media - Films on one Raid and TV on the other and fitting my C drive backup onto which ever has the most amount of space left over.

If i was to stick all drives into raid 10 rather then 2 x raid 1, I believe I'd be getting 2 x the smallest drive, so 18tb rather than 21tb i'd get in 2 x raid 1. Is the lost space accessible in any way I.e. not in raid or is it just lost?

If in the future I want to buy 2x more 12TB to replace the 9tb, how would i do the upgrade? I have enough spare drives lying around to copy the 9 TB onto a couple of drives if I have to, but would I have to also do that with the 12tb drives or can I go from 2 drive Raid 1 to 4 drive raid 10 without losing data?

If I set up raid 10 with 2x 9th and 2 x12 tb could i just swap out the 2 x 9 tb with 2 x 12tb and increase the capacity or would I have to rebuild the whole raid and move my data elsewhere temporarily
The easiest thing would be to keep the current 2x Raid 1 and change out the 2x 4TB drives for the 12TB drives. Later on you can change the 9TB drives out and without losing anything on the 12TB Raid 1 make it a Raid 10. Overall it gets to be a sticky operation when you have mixed drive sizes in a Raid. If you did a Raid 5 instead of 10 you would get the storage of 3 disks (1 disk of 4 is used for parity) instead of 2. I'm not sure if you can eventually swap out the 9TB drives for 12's and then extend the size of the array.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS