[SOLVED] Need motherboard guidence for Ryzen setup, im lost

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Hello fellow tech enthusiasts,

I have a Ryzen R5 1600 and trying to get a motherboard and ram for that.

Choosing a motherboard under 100$ has been very confusing for the last two days.
B350 v B350M v B450 v B450M motherboards are in my radar but here's my issue:

I need the board to give me at least 3200MHz of 2x8gb RAM speed.
But some motherboards are not compatible with every ram out there in the market,
So I need a RAM advice for the motherboard in question aswell. (Price range is max 100-110$ for 2x8GB ram)

In the case of microATX and ATX cards, All i need is 2x4pin fan connector and 1x3pin connector for corsair H60's pump. So choosing a microATX should not pose a major problem and save me a couple of bucks aswell. But if the ATX option has more value, I'm willing to pay the extra price.

Give me some pointers and say "you're good to go with this setup", get me out of this obscurity. I'll be so gratefull,

King regards..

Hm... as far as I understand it, with Ryzen the RAM controller is part of the CPU architecture, so it isn't really just a motherboard compatibility issue for RAM speeds. Look at any of the motherboards you're considering, find the QVL for the CPU and you'll see what I mean. Early BIOSes maxed out at 2933MHz if memory serves, but further BIOS and AGESA updates should have helped on this front.

On a practical level, I think a 400-series motherboard should lessen the update issues I mentioned. Whether you want the 'm' motherboards will depend on what form factor you want.

Reactions: R1 owner
Solution

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Hm... as far as I understand it, with Ryzen the RAM controller is part of the CPU architecture, so it isn't really just a motherboard compatibility issue for RAM speeds. Look at any of the motherboards you're considering, find the QVL for the CPU and you'll see what I mean. Early BIOSes maxed out at 2933MHz if memory serves, but further BIOS and AGESA updates should have helped on this front.

On a practical level, I think a 400-series motherboard should lessen the update issues I mentioned. Whether you want the 'm' motherboards will depend on what form factor you want.

I see, what about the x370 - x470 chipset Mobos and b350 - b450 chipset ones. Which one should i prefer? is the X ones newer technology and better bios upgrades for ryzen setup?

Newness would be the B350/X370 vs the B450/X470 chipsets. Again, go with the 400-series chipset motherboards for better out of the box compatibility with RAM I would say.

The main practical difference between the B chipset and X chipset is mainly amount of connectivity; ie. the number of PCIe slots, and SATA ports. It really depends on what you need now, and how much you can anticipate what you'd need later.

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Newness would be the B350/X370 vs the B450/X470 chipsets. Again, go with the 400-series chipset motherboards for better out of the box compatibility with RAM I would say.

The main practical difference between the B chipset and X chipset is mainly amount of connectivity; ie. the number of PCIe slots, and SATA ports. It really depends on what you need now, and how much you can anticipate what you'd need later.

Thank you for your help Obakasama