Question Need Motherboard recommendation for Ryzen 2700x. Only Auto Overclocking on both CPU and RAM

annoyinglyanid

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have been reading the forum a lot but none of the answers of this often asked questions have satisfied me. I'm making a new build for Editing in 4k on After Effects and Premiere and DaVinci Resolve. There will be some light gaming too but not enough to want to push my machine to just get a few extra frames. Please note that this will be my first build on Ryzen. My previous build was a AMD 8350fx. And I have never over clocked before.

I have decided to go with the Ryzen 2700x CPU and the MSI GTX 1080ti 11g Gaming X graphic card. There will be 2 SSDs in the build, and at least one of which will need to be m2/nvme. I have also decided to go with 16gb (8x2) 3200mhz C16 rated RAM. Which brand of ram exactly, that I haven't decided.

Now my question is, what motherboard and ram combo should I go with if I have the following requirements :

a) I don't want to overclock my cpu manually and only just want to use auto overclock (Precision boost is it called?) since this is a workstation and reliability and stability is key.
b) I want my Ram to run at rated 3200mhz speeds preferably only through XMP profiles. Again manually overclocking the RAM is an option but I'd rather not have to tinker.
c) I want the motherboard to have acceptably good thermals.

Any help on making this final decision would be greatly appreciated as I have tortured myself over this decision for the past month. My budget for the motherboard would be maximum 15000 INR (Indian rupees). My first hunch was to go with MSI Gaming plus as MSI seems to have a good pricing in India and the quality for the price is good too( so I've heard).

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This would meet your needs:

annoyinglyanid

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
This would meet your needs:

Thank you. Would you say it is better than the MSI x470 Gaming Plus or MSI x470 Gaming pro?
I can see it is the same price as the board you have linked to.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I prefer Asus motherboards, followed by Gigabyte, and then Asrock. For me, MSI would be #4. This is based on my years of experience using them all (and others).

That being said, MSI makes decent stuff and many swear by them. Really up to you on which to use. You'll be fine either way.