ghostofsparta

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: will be building this over the next month or two.

Budget Range: 350 ish

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Building a new computer for my parents to replace there 6 year old dell. Mostly web surfing, some office/excel stuff, very little gaming, video watching and probably some light movie encoding (dixv to dvd, probably nothing to stressfull)

Parts Not Required: I won't need a monitor, keyboard and mouse. I'll be using a XFX HD4770 I have in one of my builds which I will be upgrading. Also got Windows 7 Professional 64 bit oem and a set of G.SKILL Ripjaws (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 F3-10666CL9D-8GBR that I was going to use for a friends build but will probably just use in this build

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, microcenter (have one near by) ect.

Country of Origin: usa

Parts Preferences: I've always been a fan of intel and have used several gigabyte mobos in the past. I'm open to all suggestions though.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: I believe it's 1920x1080, would have to double check though.

Additional Comments: So basically I figured I would build my parents a new computer for their anniversary in a couple of months. I already have a few parts like a gpu, ram and os to use in the current build. I also will be using their two hd's and one of their dvd drives they have now and adding a third hd. I was thinking about getting in on one of these microcenter i3-2100 deals while they have it going on. Here's the set up I was thinking about going with.

CPU/MOBO: I3-2100 & Gigabyte GA-H61M-USB3-B3 (total $160.10 after tax, $145.10 after rebate) microcenter b&m
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W Modular Gaming Power Supply ($59.99, 39.99 after rebate) newegg.com
Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion ($59.99, 49.99 after rebate) newegg.com (used this one for a build I did for myself and my parents loved it, figured I would go back with it.
HD: will be using their two they have for storage and will look around for a 500gb or 1tb when I find a good deal. ($50 max)
DVD Drive: will be using one of their drives and will put another one in their ($25 max)

Also I'm sure at some point they might add a blu-ray burner to this to replace one of the drives. But I figured this would be a pretty good build and they should have no problems with keeping up with anything they would use it for. If I go with this build I'm looking at around 310 out of pocket. $440 total if I count the os and ram in the total price.

I just figured I would see if anyone had any suggestions with this build. Is the I3-2100 the way to go? Also I might wait until I find a better psu deal and see if I find a better deal on the case sometime before now and then.

Thanks for any help.

An i3 can make a great computer for your parents . It should easily be powerful enough for the usage you describe

If it was me Id use a different style of case . The Antec 300 is a great gaming case but do they really want a gaming case? They sure dont need one
How about
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129072

or Micro ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129035

and if you want to stay with the 300 then
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129065

and yes , all the power supplies are plenty for your build

ghostofsparta

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Well my parents liked the look of the antec 300 illusion on a build i did. I also lile to use them because i like the design, extra fans ect. Plus right now its free shipping and a 10 mail in rebate. All 3 of those options are 100+ with shipping and this combo is 90 after rebates.

ghostofsparta

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Anybody have any thoughts on the mobo. Ga-h61m-usb3-b3. I guess my question is should i spring for a better or diffrent one. This onr only has 2 ram slots, no sata 6 gbs and one pci express slot. Should i stick with this one or future proof myself some what with a ga-h67ma-usb3-b3? That board has 4 ram slots, 2 sata 6gbs plus two pci express slots. Although that adds another 35 to my build and doubt they will ever use the extra features before they are ready for a new pc.

Also thought about using the ga-h61-d2p-b3 which has two pcie slots. Only diffrence other than that looks like usb3. D2p is 10 less than h61 usb3. I might even go with that. I dont know how much they would even use the usb3 connection. Any thoughts?