Dec 31, 2019
My all in one sell Inspiron has died after only 4 years. The motherboard is broken. Instead of repairing, I might as well get a new system, something more reliable. I am not a gamer. My needs are a large monitor with a touch screen, speedy start, pages that don't take forever to load. I teach lessons online using a webcam so the video quality has to be decent. I also want to be able to surf the net and have multiple tabs open without slow performance . Should I get a desktop or laptop or Chromebook? I keep seeing add for laptops but not too many for desktops. Would a Chromebook be sufficient for what I'm needing? I don't want to spend a fortune. Budget is up to $800. I have no knowledge on how to build my own. I'd like to have a SSD with no moving parts if possible. Looking for a deal. Any suggestions?

Solution
Higher end Chromebooks tend to have poor specs for what you get compared to Windows laptops. Mainly due to demand. There is low demand so few are made. Windows laptops will get you the best deal for your budget.

All-in-Ones are similarly overpriced for what you get. Anything under $800 is going to have horrible specs. At least anything I found was horrible. You can get touch screen monitors for regular desktops. But the price of the touchscreen and webcam will eat in to your budget. Although you can get a much higher quality webcam and microphone this way. Which honestly if you want to be getting a better webcast. You should be using an external camera and microphone. Regardless of what computer you buy.

Touchscreen laptops have...
Higher end Chromebooks tend to have poor specs for what you get compared to Windows laptops. Mainly due to demand. There is low demand so few are made. Windows laptops will get you the best deal for your budget.

All-in-Ones are similarly overpriced for what you get. Anything under $800 is going to have horrible specs. At least anything I found was horrible. You can get touch screen monitors for regular desktops. But the price of the touchscreen and webcam will eat in to your budget. Although you can get a much higher quality webcam and microphone this way. Which honestly if you want to be getting a better webcast. You should be using an external camera and microphone. Regardless of what computer you buy.

Touchscreen laptops have fallen out of favor. They add to the cost and most people don't use the touchscreen option. You will have fewer options within your budget. There are a few to be had though. This Lenovo is slightly above your budget. But it is a killer deal even compared to non-touch laptops. You'll have to act fast though. When BHPhoto has one of these deals. They are usually clearing stock. Once it is gone. It is gone. Well worth going slightly over budget.
  • i7-8550u
  • 14" 4K Display
  • Lightweight with huge battery
  • Dual Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • 16GB RAM
  • 512GB SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1465024-REG/lenovo_81tf0004us_14_ideapad_flex_pro.html

If it must be within budget. This Lenovo is next on the list. But specs are nowhere near as good.
  • i5-8265u
  • 14" 1080p display
  • Heavier with smaller battery
  • USB 3.1 Gen 1
  • 8GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD
  • Windows 10 Home
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...81sq0000us_flex_i5_8265u_8gb_256gb.html/specs

Solution
Dec 31, 2019

Touchscreen laptops have fallen out of favor. They add to the cost and most people don't use the touchscreen option. You will have fewer options within your budget. There are a few to be had though. This Lenovo is slightly above your budget. But it is a killer deal even compared to non-touch laptops. You'll have to act fast though. When BHPhoto has one of these deals. They are usually clearing stock. Once it is gone. It is gone. Well worth going slightly over budget.
  • i7-8550u
  • 14" 4K Display
  • Lightweight with huge battery
  • Dual Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • 16GB RAM
  • 512GB SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1465024-REG/lenovo_81tf0004us_14_ideapad_flex_pro.html

If it must be within budget. This Lenovo is next on the list. But specs are nowhere near as good.
  • i5-8265u
  • 14" 1080p display
  • Heavier with smaller battery
  • USB 3.1 Gen 1
  • 8GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD
  • Windows 10 Home
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...81sq0000us_flex_i5_8265u_8gb_256gb.html/specs
Thanks for this info. I hear a lot about laptops. I don't really need a portable unit. I would much prefer a desktop and just buy a separate touchscreen large monitor that's about 24 in. I need a touchscreen because I do a lot of writing with my finger on the actual slides that I teach. What desktops can you recommend that are not all in ones with a solid state drive ?