[SOLVED] Need new CPU but old motherboard/ram, any suggestions?

Dec 27, 2021
Hi, I have an i5-4690k, rx580, 16gb 2333mhz Ram, mobo - GA-Z97x-SLI. Most games run really well 200+fps in fn, rl etc but really struggles in warzone as very cpu intensive- can get enough fps just a lot of stutters etc and tried loads of fixes online for it and believe it is just cpu or ram. Don't want to go through effort of replacing mobo so just wondering if i7-4790k will be a good upgrade or not. My current cpu is old, defo getting worse, probably needs thermal paste but never done it before as temps can get high. I have cooler masters water cpu cooler however as i bought system second hand I am unsure how good it is wondering if there's a way to see. Also does my ram need an upgrade?
Main questions:
Is i7-4790k worth upgrade?
Worth applying thermal paste to see if improving performance or is i5-4690k just not enough for warzone
How to check cpu cooler is good/working?
Does ram need upgrade?

Solution
Worth is something only YOU can determine.

Your strongest upgrade would be a i7-4790K.
That gets you4 more threads, but not much of a boost in single thread performance.

Run the cpu-Z bench and look at the single thread rating.
It should be in the neighborhood of 435. A 4790K will be more like 469.
Here is a chart of some other results:
https://valid.x86.fr/bench/xb7lml
Have you overclocked? That could get you some 25% boost.

High temperatures are not a problem unless they approach 100c. That is when you throttle.
A aio cooler 5 years old is approaching the need to replace it.
aio coolers do not last forever. They inevitably leak air into the system over time.
That can not be fixed, you would need to replace the cooler...
The 4790k has about a 13% higher CPU single thread score on a common benchmark. You might consider that "worthy".

I'd expect 32 RAM rather than 16 to help little if any.

CPU cooler "good or working"? Do you have any obvious temperature issues?

I'd save money, maybe 500 on up for new CPU, RAM, and motherboard, but that's just me.

Dec 27, 2021
The 4790k has about a 13% higher CPU single thread score on a common benchmark. You might consider that "worthy".

I'd expect 32 RAM rather than 16 to help little if any.

CPU cooler "good or working"? Do you have any obvious temperature issues?

I'd save money, maybe 500 on up for new CPU and motherboard, but that's just me.
Okay cheers, well temps can reach relatively high and I thought water cooling was supposed to be very good and keep them lower, I guess I could try adding some thermal paste?

Okay cheers, well temps can reach relatively high and I thought water cooling was supposed to be very good and keep them lower, I guess I could try adding some thermal paste?

Not sure what "relatively high" is, but barring an extreme temp, I wouldn't expect water cooling to cure your ills, but it might increase your frustration due to the noise, maintenance, and durability issues it introduces.

Likewise with thermal paste. No point to re-do it without knowing what "relatively high" is.

Is your "struggling on Warzone" a recent phenomenon?

If yes, that might point to a hardware problem, but you haven't provided enough info to do more than speculate about that.

Knowing no more than you've said so far, I wouldn't expect more RAM, less heat, or new thermal paste to help you out.

Are you inclined to buy oats for an old horse, well past the "frisky" stage?

That gets you4 more threads, but not much of a boost in single thread performance.

High temperatures are not a problem unless they approach 100c. That is when you throttle.
aio coolers do not last forever. They inevitably leak air into the system over time.
That can not be fixed, you would need to replace the cooler.
One good argument for air in the future.
For a quick test on the cpu cooler, run HWmonitor or such.
The lowest or idle temperature should be 10-15c. over ambient.
Game or run a CPU-Z stress test.
Look for the max temperature. 100c is where cooling may be an issue and needs to be fixed.

I would not expect much from simply replacing paste.

16gb is fine for any game you might want to play.
If you are concurrently running many other apps, that is a different matter.
2133 speed is fine for Intel.
Here is an older study on ddr3 scaling.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell
Really, no big difference in real app performance using a discrete gpu.

Solution
Dec 27, 2021

That can not be fixed, you would need to replace the cooler.
One good argument for air in the future.
For a quick test on the cpu cooler, run HWmonitor or such.
The lowest or idle temperature should be 10-15c. over ambient.
Game or run a CPU-Z stress test.
Look for the max temperature. 100c is where cooling may be an issue and needs to be fixed.

I would not expect much from simply replacing paste.

16gb is fine for any game you might want to play.
If you are concurrently running many other apps, that is a different matter.
2133 speed is fine for Intel.
Here is an older study on ddr3 scaling.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell
Really, no big difference in real app performance using a discrete gpu.
Single thread rating was 435.7, I do have a slight overclock just to 4.0ghz however vcore is low at 1.053, on prime95 small fft (version 26.6) it can reach up to 90 but mainly around 85. Temps go too high if i try overclock much more as i have to bump up vcore quite a bit.