Need new laptop with light video editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2018
Budget is $1,000 and can be stretched a bit but I prefer to go lower if I can.

I was thinking the 8th gen i7 with SSD and 16gb ram. How important is the Nvidia specs? Do I need 1060? Can I go lower on this?

I have a travel business and plan on doing light video editing. 2-10 minute videos. Just me in front of the camera or touring a destination. So not intensive on video. I have a Sony a6500 so I may want to record in 4k so i'll be editing short 4k video clips.

What do you think?

Also, am I much better going with the 8th gen i7 over the 7th gen?

Apr 19, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from clara.blaine55 : "GPU needed for basic video editing on laptop - HELP!"

In the market for a new laptop. Budget is $800 up to $1,200. The lower the better.

I do want the new i7 8th gen, SSD, 16 gb ram.

Do I absolutely need a 1060 graphic card for basic video editing. I will not be adding any special effects. I record travel video/ me in front of camera (in 4k). So short clips.

Is 1050 or 1050 ti good for what I need? Is the 940MX 4gb enough? Can I go lower?

Is powerful CPU, ssd, ram more important for what I need?

What should I do??

Ralston18

Titan
What software will you be using?

Most applications have some set of recommended hardware specifications: minimum requirements, functional, "best".

Check the software and then look for a laptop with specifications that at least meet or exceed functional. May cost more but in the long run you will have a laptop that performs well and has room for growth with respect to more demanding requirements.

Apr 19, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from clara.blaine55 : "laptop for travel"

I have a Dell XPS desktop with 1080 gpu and 8th gen i7. I'm looking to add a laptop to use when not home. I'll do the bulk of my video editing at home but want a minimal laptop to be able to do some of my editing while away/traveling. I will buy the i7 8750H with SSD.

Since I have a powerful desktop, what can I get away with for my laptop?

Is Ryzen with the Vega 10 sufficient? Stick with i7 and is 940mx 4gb ok? Or should i go 1060?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS