[SOLVED] Need new Network hard drive (with some personal requirements)

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
My old, old Buffalo Linkstation 320GL NAS finally bit the dust after surviving many power outages and lack of cleaning. Fortunatly, I had a USB device connected to it so everything on it was backed up. I don't need much storage, but I need it to:
  1. be easy to install and simple use. Plug, play, and forget basically. I'm network ignorant.
  2. have a USB port or two for backing it up to another device. And not in Linux format. Need to be able to read it in Win.
  3. be inexpensive, yet fairly dependable. Let's say under $200.

I don't need more than 1TB storage space. On my old one, the circuit board died. So I couldn't just swap the HDD to fix it.
Thank you.

Solution
For plug and play simplicity, get a commercial NAS from QNAP, Synology, or Thecus.
Be aware that they are all sold as "bring your own disk". Whatever price you see is for the chassis. You have to supply disk drives. But the good thing is that you can choose any size drive.
I am a Synology user, look up the DS218j

kanewolf

Titan
For plug and play simplicity, get a commercial NAS from QNAP, Synology, or Thecus.
Be aware that they are all sold as "bring your own disk". Whatever price you see is for the chassis. You have to supply disk drives. But the good thing is that you can choose any size drive.
I am a Synology user, look up the DS218j

Solution

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
That would work. The cost of a two drive chassis is not much more. The 228A. You can run it with one disk. But at least you have the option to add more space if needed. Think about it ...
Couldn't I just get a bigger single drive?
Btw, would I have to go with an enterprise drive, or could I use any old basic WD/Seagate drive?

kanewolf

Titan
Couldn't I just get a bigger single drive?
Btw, would I have to go with an enterprise drive, or could I use any old basic WD/Seagate drive?
You can use "basic" drives. The NAS (or video) drives are designed for 24/7 usage.
Could you "just get a bigger drive" ? Sure. But then you have to transfer all the data from the existing drive. But there is only one drive slot. So you have to put something in an eternal adapter. That is doable. I can't say you will be guaranteed sorry about buying a single disk enclosure. I am just saying compare the delta cost and see if the possibilities are worth the cost.

USAFRet

Titan

popatim

Titan
Doesn't the drive in the enclosure always run 24/7? No matter if it is basic or enterprise?

Btw, is this a drive that would be good for 24/7 operation? Or could I go for less expense and still have it be dependable?
A;That's a used drive. The seller replies to one of the questions that it has been DOD wiped...
B: Thats an OEM drive and I believe that WD no longer warranties OEM drives except to the original purchaser (the big company that bought them) https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7820

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
Thank you both for your invaluable help. I learned a lot.
@ popatim; I wasn't aware that the drive I linked to was used. Thanks.
@ kanewolf; The Ironwolf line looks like the drive I need. It even says NAS right on the label. Thanks.