Need new PSU advice

sherman

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
I'm upgrading my graphics card to a BFG GeForce 6600GT OC 128mb and I believe it requires either a 300 or 350W PSU. I currently have the stock 250W PSU. The system is a Gateway with a Intel (Lexington 2) Pentium 4 2.4GHz(533MHz) motherboard with 512mb PC800 RDRAM. Is there a reliable PSU I could get for this? I don't want to spend too much at the moment since I'm trying to make this system last a year or two longer before I get a new motherboard and PCU. Thanks in advance!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You'll probably have to do a little work to make a standard power supply fit, but it should be possible if you're willing to do the work.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

By that he means you'll have to modify the case to make it fit. Great fun if you like powertools! :wink:

<font color=blue>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination. </font color=blue>

sherman

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
Oh don't worry, I can make it work. Craftsman is a great company!! I just need to know a few reliable PSU's at a reasonable price (~$50.00, maybe a little higher). Thanks.

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954" target="_new">FSP 450W</A> for $50.

<font color=blue>(\__/)

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Have you tried the 6600 in your system? Gateway uses pretty decent PSUs and I'd bet that one would be able to power it if all they suggest is 300w+.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

sherman

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
I don't have the card yet but I did check the specs and it calls for a 350W PSU. Thanks Rugger for the reference to the Fortron. It looks like it could work. I'm new to this kind of stuff so I really appreciate all the help.

If you've got it, then you might as well try it before you get the new PSU - shouldn't hurt anything to try it.

<font color=blue>(\__/)