[SOLVED] Need new Raid drives do I need to do anything else but replace them in the slots?

Jan 5, 2019
I have an Alienware computer with two regular drives and two raid drives .. my raid drives are going bad .. can I just replace the raid drives? Do I have to do anything else with these raid drives, can I just take the bad raid drives out and put the new ones in the slots. Would I need to do anything else? I did replace these two drives one other time but for the life of me I can't remember if I had to do anything else.

Solution
Well, assuming it's a RAID 0 array and has no redundancy, we'll assume you've no data to back up.

The proper way to do it would be to enter the RAID bios menu, delete the existing array, shut down, remove the old drives and install the new drives, start the computer, enter the RAID bios setup menu (note that your RAID bios and Motherboard bios may be the same menu and may be different, I don't have any idea how your mobo is setup), reinitialize the array selecting the new drives to add to it, complete the setup and reboot. Then when in windows enter disk management, initialize and format the array, giving it whatever drive letter you like, and you should be good to go.

Might I recommend using SSD's? You can get 1 TB SSD's now for...
Dec 11, 2018
Well, assuming it's a RAID 0 array and has no redundancy, we'll assume you've no data to back up.

The proper way to do it would be to enter the RAID bios menu, delete the existing array, shut down, remove the old drives and install the new drives, start the computer, enter the RAID bios setup menu (note that your RAID bios and Motherboard bios may be the same menu and may be different, I don't have any idea how your mobo is setup), reinitialize the array selecting the new drives to add to it, complete the setup and reboot. Then when in windows enter disk management, initialize and format the array, giving it whatever drive letter you like, and you should be good to go.

Might I recommend using SSD's? You can get 1 TB SSD's now for less than $150, which I recommend heartily.

Solution