Question Need new RAM for Ryzen 1600

matthew_nicho2

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Hey there, I had to RMA my faulty RAM and got store credit. Great news because I got the HyperX 16gb kit in the bad old days so I have £200 to play with!

Bad news is I have a Ryzen 1600 and there are no B-die sticks.

I have checked the QVL list for the sticks they now sell and none of them are listed; The list being from 2017 so no surprise.

The set I have been drawn to are the G.Skill Trident Z (F4-3200C16D-16GTZB) but I cannot find out if these will actually work @3200 with no issues.

Here is the site with my options - Ebuyer.com

I have had no issues with previous Gskill sets but the HyperX Predator set I bought didn't last a year (no OC just XMP) so don't particularly want Kingston again.

Does anyone with first gen Ryzen have any of These Sets and can confirm they work @3200 with no issues?

Thanks All

CPU isn't what matters, on the first level at least, when it comes to memory compatibility. We need to know what motherboard you have. Memory needs to primarily be compatible with the specific motherboard, and then you gauge a second level of compatibility based on memory speed when it comes to Ryzen, stemming from WHICH generation of Ryzen it is.

Your best bet is to attend the Corsair or G.Skill websites and utilize their selection tools. Corsair has "Corsair memory finder" and G.Skill has "G.Skill memory configurator". Using the desired memory criteria they will both show memory kits that are tested and proven to be compatible and functional on the board indicated in the filter.

If I know what board you have, I can make a specific recommendation, assuming you are in the UK based on your use of British pounds.

To my experience, so far anyhow, G.Skill makes a lot more kits that are not problematic on Ryzen platforms, even the latest platform, than Corsair does. Corsair does have many compatible kits though. For reasons of quality and overall compatibility, I tend to avoid other brands such as Kingston, Mushkin, Team, Geil and others on Ryzen because their compatibility seems to be significantly lower on the AMD side of things than Corsair and G.Skill. Again, they have compatible memory, but it takes a bit more digging to find out which are and are not.

matthew_nicho2

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks, specs are in my sig (Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming 5). Looks like the Corsair LPX is the winner. Never had Corsair before so we will see how it goes. I didn't want Kingston in the first place but at the time it was what I could afford at the time with the hiked prices. Wont be buying Kingston ram again.