Question Need new upgrades for premiere pro video editing

Jul 27, 2022
So i am getting non stop problems video editing 4k footage in premiere pro, playback is laggy sometimes even when its just 1 video file, when effects etc added it struggles at 1/8 resolution. I also get crashes problems rendering and i've had enough.

currently using a ryzen 3900 on b-350 mobo
RTX 3080
64GB DDR4
and 3 x 4k displays.

Looking for advice on upgrades for video editing (i also play some games rarely)

i mainly edit h.264 so assuming i should make the move back to Intel? and maybe even upgrade to DDR5 mobo and ram?

Any recommendations welcome as i'm really not clued up on CPU's but looking for something to make my daily editing much less stressful! Wondering if maybe something like the i9-13900k would be a good choice? if so what mobo would go best?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Even with a 3080, you are pushing a ton of pixels with 3 4k displays. Your CPU should be capable of meeting your needs, I would think.

How much storage space do you have available?

Also, what heatsink/cooler are you using with your Ryzen?

If you want to build a new rig, knowing your budget and components you intend to move to the new rig would be useful.

Jul 27, 2022
Even with a 3080, you are pushing a ton of pixels with 3 4k displays. Your CPU should be capable of meeting your needs, I would think.

If you want to build a new rig, knowing your budget and components you intend to move to the new rig would be useful.
Unsure of the CPU cooler its a noctua fan that i purchased a long time ago. theres no budget really and more i just want a better editing experience.

I dont want to build a new rig but just thinking about upgrading to intel due mainly editing with h.264. I have found even with 1 4k monitor the performance is the same as with all 3 enabled, the other 2 monitors simply have notes or webpages, or maybe photoshop/after effects open on them.

Just wondering if i will even see a better playback through premiere if i upgrade to an intel cpu along with 64gb of ddr5 memory

Jul 27, 2022

Storage space i have multiple SSD's and use a different drive for media cache etc but usually have 6 or 7 TB free so i dont think its an issue with the drives

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Unsure of the CPU cooler its a noctua fan that i purchased a long time ago. theres no budget really and more i just want a better editing experience.

I dont want to build a new rig but just thinking about upgrading to intel due mainly editing with h.264. I have found even with 1 4k monitor the performance is the same as with all 3 enabled, the other 2 monitors simply have notes or webpages, or maybe photoshop/after effects open on them.

Just wondering if i will even see a better playback through premiere if i upgrade to an intel cpu along with 64gb of ddr5 memory
Sure, a beefier rig could certainly help. So could OCing your current CPU, except for the B350 chipset. 1st gen Ryzen chipset so that may be contributing to your performce.

Jul 27, 2022
Sure, a beefier rig could certainly help. So could OCing your current CPU, except for the B350 chipset. 1st gen Ryzen chipset so that may be contributing to your performce.
you think the motherboard could be contributing to poor performance? appologies my cpu and motherboard knowledge is pretty poor.

I can't run any OC as i have tried in the past and even with a small boost i find instability issues, works great but then after 10 mins of rendering it can BSOD etc. I just find i'm wasting so much time with this, and the reason i bought the 3900x was mainly because i didnt need a new mobo to fit it lol.

looking at videos online of people with intel chips the iGPU seems to be very helpful with h.264 and they get much better playback than me, just didnt want to spend all that money and be in the same position!

Thanks for your help

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You have a CPU/motherboard combo that is impacting the potential of the CPU. The 1st generation B350 chipset and associated components weren't really designed to handle the load of a 3900X, regardless of basic compatibility. For optimal performance, a motherboard with a X570 chipset would allow the CPU to perform more optimally.

Up to you whether you want to make the plunge and go with a new CPU/motherboard/memory combo.

Jul 27, 2022
You have a CPU/motherboard combo that is impacting the potential of the CPU. The 1st generation B350 chipset and associated components weren't really designed to handle the load of a 3900X, regardless of basic compatibility. For optimal performance, a motherboard with a X570 chipset would allow the CPU to perform more optimally.

Up to you whether you want to make the plunge and go with a new CPU/motherboard/memory combo.
I mean if a new motherboard would give me great performance it would be a much more cost effective upgrade, just afraid of dropping lots of money on a new board to find that performance is the same. Do you have any idea on what likely improvements i would see?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hard to say exactly. Google these terms:

x570 vs b350

-or-

compare X570 and B350

You'll find multiple sources that can shed some light on your question. One thing for sure, your thermals will improve, reducing (eliminating) throttling.

How hot is your CPU and GPU at idle and under load (like when rendering)? Also, what is your PSU make/model?

Jul 27, 2022
Hard to say exactly. Google these terms:

x570 vs b350

-or-

compare X570 and B350

You'll find multiple sources that can shed some light on your question. One thing for sure, your thermals will improve, reducing (eliminating) throttling.

How hot is your CPU and GPU at idle and under load (like when rendering)? Also, what is your PSU make/model?
I did some googlein before and saw benchmark differences were bad, my main issue is no smooth playback of the timeline, sometimes even just playing back 4k footage.

With premiere pro open my CPU is about 52-55 degrees, whgen playing back footage on the timeline it his 80ish but never goes to 95, do you think it could be throttling it before hitting 95 or would it go higher anyway?

Gpu temp idles around 52 degrees but i am running 2 x 4k monitors , when playing back footage in premiere timeline it never goes over 60 degrees.

Cant remember the branc but its an 850w PSU

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Understood. In addition to CPU and GPU temps, there are the bits that current the CPU that get quite hot. The B350 isn't as capable of handling the heat compared to a X570, for example.

If I were you, I would save a bunch of money and find a X570 motherboard and go from there.