[SOLVED] Need New WiFi Adapter?

mckinstryt

Honorable
May 2, 2014
Hello,

I am having trouble maintaining a stable WiFi connection between my desktop and our router(AT&T Arris Router at gig-speed).

I am basically directly below the router so I do not think the signal strength from the router is an issue. Additionally, running speedtest on my phone from the same location as my PC yields >200Mbps whereas my PC will run speedtest(very slowly) at around 20 Mbps. The connection lasts for probably 10 minutes at a time and seemingly randomly drops out. I frequently get the message: "Connected, No Internet" on my PC, and sometimes the signal will just drop out entirely(my phone will stay connected and speedtest run at these times is good).

All these signs point to an issue with my PC, I have updated all drivers and ensured some common settings are as they should be in the device manager tab, but this does not fix the issue. I have a 2015ish EDUP wifi adapter that plugs in via USB, which until recently has served me well. Do I need a new wifi adapter or even a PCI-E wifi card?(is it worth it over the USB ones?).

If anyone has any ideas/solutions, please let me know! Thanks in advance.

Solution
The router is the Arris NVG599(provided by att) Link
and the adapter is EDUP but I do not know the model. It looks like a little USB dongle and does not have any antenna. It is not listed not the USB itself. Device manager-> Network Adapter is called: realtek rtl8192cu wireless lan 802.11n usb 2.0 network adapter.

Let me know if I can provide further info. By the way, ethernet works great but is just not feasible as I would have to keep a cord running up a flight of stairs at all times. Thanks!
Your description is a "nano" adapter. And those are usually poor because they just don't have big antennas. Also with the realtek description I can find this --...

mckinstryt

Honorable
May 2, 2014
Please list the make and model of the router and current USB adapter you are using -- links are fine. You may have a 2.4Ghz adapter only or a "nano" adapter which is junk.
and the adapter is EDUP but I do not know the model. It looks like a little USB dongle and does not have any antenna. It is not listed not the USB itself. Device manager-> Network Adapter is called: realtek rtl8192cu wireless lan 802.11n usb 2.0 network adapter.

Let me know if I can provide further info. By the way, ethernet works great but is just not feasible as I would have to keep a cord running up a flight of stairs at all times. Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan

Your description is a "nano" adapter. And those are usually poor because they just don't have big antennas. Also with the realtek description I can find this -- https://www.amazon.com/APMIX-300Mbps-Realtek-Rtl8192Cu-Wireless/dp/B07K46XP7B Which says it is a 2.4Ghz only adapter. That will be limited to 70Mbit sitting right next to the WIFI source.

To get better WIFI performance you need a better adapter. If you are going to use USB, I recommend something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087TJ2CBV/ It has large antennas and it has a USB extender that allows you to move the antennas out from behind a PC case. Being buried behind your PC also blocks signal.

Solution