[SOLVED] Need new WiFi router

Jul 14, 2020
I have fiber internet with 600 up and 600 down.

Had an Orbi RBR50 router with wired backhauls that died on me after one year and one week. Loved the wifi speeds.

Replaced it with Nest wifi and the wifi speeds have been terrible. Read some place that it has to do with bridging of wired connection being done in software. I don't know, but I'm less than impressed with the wifi speeds.

I can still take the Nest Wifi back. What should I get?

Turned off that Orbi died on me a week after the warranty expired. Plus I didn't like that it used itself as the DNS server (wanted to use PiHole, which I could but all clients went through router first instead of going durect, so I lost out on reporting). Plus had issues that not all clients would show up in DHCP list, which was supposedly fixed in the last firmware update, but could not get it to update.

Looked at Ubiquiti Dream Machine with an extra access point.

I need at least two nodes, possibly three. I have Cat 5E throughout the house, so I can wire the additional access points, I don't need wireless mesh. I want fast switching between the nodes. I don't want separate SSIDs for the separate access points.

I know enough to be dangerous. Looking for some suggestions.

Thanks!

Solution

Had an Orbi RBR50 router with wired backhauls that died on me after one year and one week. Loved the wifi speeds.

Replaced it with Nest wifi and the wifi speeds have been terrible. Read some place that it has to do with bridging of wired connection being done in software. I don't know, but I'm less than impressed with the wifi speeds.

Turned off that Orbi died on me a week after the warranty expired. Plus I didn't like that it used itself as the DNS server (wanted to use PiHole, which I could but all clients went through router first instead of going durect, so I lost out on reporting). Plus had issues that not all clients...

kanewolf

Titan

Turned off that Orbi died on me a week after the warranty expired. Plus I didn't like that it used itself as the DNS server (wanted to use PiHole, which I could but all clients went through router first instead of going durect, so I lost out on reporting). Plus had issues that not all clients would show up in DHCP list, which was supposedly fixed in the last firmware update, but could not get it to update.

Looked at Ubiquiti Dream Machine with an extra access point.

I need at least two nodes, possibly three. I have Cat 5E throughout the house, so I can wire the additional access points, I don't need wireless mesh. I want fast switching between the nodes. I don't want separate SSIDs for the separate access points.

I know enough to be dangerous. Looking for some suggestions.

Thanks!
Ubiquiti (I have 3APs, and 6 switches) is nice because it allows a single control panel for everything. You can have totally isolated guest WIFI on all your APs. You can segregate your IOT devices if desired. There is LOTS of functionality. But that also means lots of learning to use it optimally.
Roaming between access points is a function of the client device. You have to carefully manage AP placement and power output to get optimal roaming.
Ubiquiti has the tools to allow you to do that.

Reactions: el0213
Solution