[SOLVED] NEED OPINIONS FOR GTX 16 SERIES IM DUMB :(

Nov 29, 2019
So I was planning to buy a new graphics card and I stumbled upon this gtx 1660 super, I was surprised because I have no Idea where the 16 series came from. Can you guys enlighten me?

1. Why did they release the 16 series?
  2. Is the new 16 series compatible to all PC games?
  3. Why is the 16 series cheaper than the 10 series? Does it mean it has a shorter lifespan? Does it have a weaker cooling system?
  4. If my RAM is 16 GB, my CPU is i5 4400k (3.0 Ghz), my PSU is 650 watts, and my motherboard is a gigabyte h270m-d3h, will my PC bottleneck? If so, is it still ok?
  5. Can the 1660 super overclock?
  6. Lastly, is the 1660 super a smart choice? Can there be alternatives that are cheaper?
Thank you so much guys!!!!!!!!

Solution
1. To fill in a gap in the market.

2. Like any graphics card it would depend on the API used, but mostly. For modern games, yes.

3. Shorter lifespan how? Physical longevity? Or software support? Cooling support would depend on the board partner and the cooling solution they use. There isn't a simple answer.

4. Bottleneck? Perhaps. Will it do any harm? No. Just means one particular component isn't used to its full potential (and is 'wasted').

5. I believe so.

6. Seems a decent enough graphics processor.

2. Like any graphics card it would depend on the API used, but mostly. For modern games, yes.

3. Shorter lifespan how? Physical longevity? Or software support? Cooling support would depend on the board partner and the cooling solution they use. There isn't a simple answer.

4. Bottleneck? Perhaps. Will it do any harm? No. Just means one particular component isn't used to its full potential (and is 'wasted').

5. I believe so.

Reactions: johncalvinelid
Solution
Nov 29, 2019

5. I believe so.

Wow, thank you so much!!

Good response from obakasama.

I might add my thoughts on gpu overclocking.

Graphics card vendors bin their chips and use the better ones in factory overclocked versions
that they can sell for more. You may be able to OC more, but then again, perhaps not.
They try to differentiate by adding cosmetics and fancy coolers which also sell for more.
I do think you get fair value from a modest factory overclocked card.
If you need more performance, they buy a higher tier card in the first place.

Reactions: johncalvinelid
Nov 29, 2019
Good response from obakasama.

I might add my thoughts on gpu overclocking.

Graphics card vendors bin their chips and use the better ones in factory overclocked versions
that they can sell for more. You may be able to OC more, but then again, perhaps not.
They try to differentiate by adding cosmetics and fancy coolers which also sell for more.
I do think you get fair value from a modest factory overclocked card.
If you need more performance, they buy a higher tier card in the first place.
Wow I didn't know that. Thank you so much!