Need opinions in upgrading from 8800GT

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alien champion

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
My budget is around 450 dollars maximum, although I would like to avoid spending that much if possible, I also lean toward Nvidia.

Here are my specs.
Windows 7 professional 64-bit
750 watt psu
gigabyte m750sli ds4 motherboard
4GB RAM (ddr2)
AMD Phenom 8450 triple core
My current video cards are two 8800gt's

whatever advice you can offer is appreciated!

Solution

Yeah that made me smile. ;)
@ OP, start with a faster CPU and let those 88's stretch their legs, three giggle hurtz or higher is my recommendation :sol: and it does not have to be a Quad but at today's prices you may as well get as many cores as is available.

alien champion

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

Yes, FPS is one of the most important factors to me, especially when playing any multiplayer anything. As for the scale armor, I only just got the game and have played it for maybe 2 hours, the relatively lower FPS I got in that time was what pushed me toward upgrading, which had been in the back of my head for a while.

If it's any help, I can tell you I run everything maxed at 1920x1200 with an i7 and a 5870. I also turned on x4 AA with Super Sample AA. This hits the system hard, which is why it's only at x4 AA, but it is far supperior to x16 MSAA for this game.

At your resolution, I'd think a 5850 would perform similarly.

If you are also taking video's of PhysX games, you can save one of those 8800gt's and use it as a dedicated PhysX card following these directions: http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/633137-guide-enable-ati-nvidia-physx-single.html (you can skip step 2 if you have a 2nd monitor to plug the nvidia card into.)

If he can sell the 8800GT's, then he should definitely get a $400 5870, which is equal to a GTX295.

The problem with the 5850 is that it is suppose to cost $260, but at the moment costs $300 due to short supplies. At that price, it's not worth it and he might as well pay more to get the 5870.

It will max out any game at 1680x1050, including Crysis at the very highest settings and lowered AA. It would also be good if he ever gets a 1080p monitor.

alien champion

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I don't like doing overclocking, there's just too many variables for me to worry about. I think I'll go with the processor (AM3), and if my problems persist I can live with it easily for now and upgrade the GPU later. If anyone has an alternate opinion to this plan please tell me.

First thing is the 8800's are limited by their 256bit memory interface and if it only has 512 memory that's another hold back. A GTX260 would give better performance over 2 of those in sli. ( maybe not higher frame rates...that everybody seems to be hooked on.... but performance wise..... AA, etc. It will also probably give you higher minimum frame rates in more demanding games ).... The processor is too slow to push most any higher end cards to give you better performance. I do like the 285 w/2gig memory but until you upgrade the processor it's a waste. Having said that....... you have Windows7. You have a good buck to spend. I'd wait until Nvidia releases their next card and choose one of their DX11 cards or opt for a high end ATI product.

I can sli if I want. it seems like a real waste of money most of the time and if you don't have the right cards it's a loosing proposition. Getting higher minimum frame rates is better than getting 1000 FPS and having a card/cards tank when you really need it.

There is no short answer to that, now you have plenty of raw horsepower but limited in eye candy (AA) you can put on because of the 512mb memory. A single GTX275 would give you the same raw horsepower and the ability to turn on some AA but it would still be held back a bit because of your CPU.

Yeah that made me smile. ;)
@ OP, start with a faster CPU and let those 88's stretch their legs, three giggle hurtz or higher is my recommendation :sol: and it does not have to be a Quad but at today's prices you may as well get as many cores as is available.

Solution

alien champion

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

Yeah I think I'll do this unless anyone else has a reason I shouldn't.