Need opinions on my HDD

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
Alright, so I'll start at the beginning here. The other night, I put my PC to sleep. My screen went black (as expected) but the PC refused to actually go into sleep mode. The disk activity light was completely off leading me to think there was no disk activity, so I force powered off my PC. Well, when I went to turn it back on, BOOM corrupted C drive. I took my losses and just full formatted the drive to reinstall Windows 10 on it, but the Windows installed refused to install to the drive, said to check the drive.

I ended up installing Windows to a portable USB drive (not ideal, but temporary) and that worked, now from within Windows my original C drive shows as empty and it's usable to store files, but Windows REFUSES to install on it.

Things I've tried:
Chkdsk, no bad sectors found
Full format with diskpart
set the drive as active again with diskpart
bootrec /fixboot and /fixmbr
NO LUCK

My main question, is this drive just gone and not safe to really use anymore? I already ordered a replacement for it, but just want to know if this drive is just blown at this point and not really safe to save files to, it lets me do that but not install Windows. Thanks!

Solution
"is this drive just gone and not safe to really use anymore?"

I think it's giving indications (Windows won't install) there is something wrong with it.

I would install Windows on the drive you have on the way. Then I would either chuck the old drive....or depending how desperate I was to save it....I might try and use it for data/backups only.....and even then I would be wary.

In my experience....when drives start acting odd...it becomes very likely that they can go at any second.
"is this drive just gone and not safe to really use anymore?"

I think it's giving indications (Windows won't install) there is something wrong with it.

I would install Windows on the drive you have on the way. Then I would either chuck the old drive....or depending how desperate I was to save it....I might try and use it for data/backups only.....and even then I would be wary.

In my experience....when drives start acting odd...it becomes very likely that they can go at any second.

Solution

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
That's a fair answer. I'll probably just replace the drive entirely and remove the current one from my case then. Kind of a bummer, but ya know, mechanical drives were never extremely reliable by design lol Thanks!

H4X0R46

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
So get this! I got my new HDD and was getting the same error message, which makes no sense! So I read online that someone said to disconnect ALL other drives except the one. Well..... That worked....... I'm gonna bet my "bad drive" isn't even bad. That bums me out... Worth noting here though, the current Windows 10 installer from Microsoft has that bug currently! Or maybe it's my mobo being dumb since my other drives inside that don't pertain to this issue are GPT, not MBR. I wonder......