need POST assistance

decoy26517

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
Hey,

My new rig is having some issues once I put it all together. When the system is turned on, all of the fans spin, the HD spins, the optical drive opens/closes and spins. However, the system does not post, I do not get anything on the screen, and neither a USB or PS2 keyboard/mouse will light up if used.

The parts:

Case: COOLER MASTER CM Stacker STC-T01

Motherboard: GIGABYTE P35 ATX Intel LGA 775

Video: MSI GeForce 8800GTS 640MB

PSU: SIGMA SHARK SP-585W PSU

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

RAM: A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 Dual Channel

Harddrive: Western Digital Caviar 500GB

Please give me any advise about this if possible. I'm starting to run out of ideas :cry:

EDIT:

Also, the video card has DVI out while the monitor is using a standard VGA input and I have a convertor between the two. Would that cause a video problem on the first boot?

decoy26517

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
I think i found the problem. The manual says it required an extra 12v 4 pin connector along with the main 24pin connector (28pins total wtf? how power hungry are these things getting these days??) so anyway I'm currently looking at the different cables coming out of the PSU and will any of the 4pin connectors work?

Also that over 4pin 12v connector is in the worst possible spot on the MB, right under the CPU heatsink :heink: but can anyone confirm that hooking up all these Power connectors arn't going to fry the MB more then it already is?

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Check the video card for any irregularities.
Place the video cad in the primary video slot, check the motherboard manual for this.
Ensure all power connections are connected properly.
Ensure proper connections in the video chain. Look at the adapter and connections, make sure no pins are bent, pushed back, or broken.
Turn on your monitor first, then turn on your computer, check to see if you notice the monitor accepting the video sync from the computer video card.

Good luck.

decoy26517

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006

It's ALIVE!

:bounce:

Thanks alot dmroeder! I'm really surprised systems require that much power now. My last system was about 5-6yrs old and didnt require the extra power connector

Anyway thx alot for the help! Now I have the fun fun job of installing windows on it.... :sleep:

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
No prob, you are the one that did it! I'm glad it's working.

I have a socket 939 motherboard and it requires a 4 pin also. My 7800GT requires one also.

What operating system will you be installing?

Its just a standard. even lower power systems need that cable.(my last 3 systems all have it)

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I'd dual boot with ubuntu since it's free.

Vista will be fine. Do you plan on buying 32bit or 64bit? I should mention that I only have experience with 32bit. The only issue between the two is drivers, which should be fine in your case since it's a new build. Everything on your list should already have drivers.

It's hard not to be worried after all the trash talking that goes on, but it's really a decent operating system. It's way beyond where XP was within the same time frame.

k2gremlin

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Heres the funny thing.. My mobo listed in my sig down below.. has 2x(4pin power) above my CPU... when I first built my system I only hooked up 1 of them...system ran sweet for about 4 weeks.. drove from MA to VA to a frinds for thanksgiving last year.. brought it with me.. we cracked it open for a little show and tell ;).... He has most the same componets.. He was like uhh... dude.. your missing one of your 4 pins.. .... .. ..... moment of silance.. ... ...... wtf???? Its been working fine.. meh.. hooked it up and it still works the same I didnt notice any diffrence...

My story anyways hehe