tango91

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Hey guys I am building a new machine and am stuck on what PSU to get

What i got so far is
i7-950 (OC in the future)
Asus Sabertooth
12gb (4gb x 3) G-Skill PC1600 DDR3
GTX 460 (single for now, sli in the future)
OCZ Agility 2 60 GB
Two WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III Drives (RAID 1)
Water cooling when i get the second GTX 460
LG DVD Burner
LG BD-ROM drive

CM Scout Storm Case for those interested

Im thinking about getting the Corsair TX-750 Watt PSU since its on sale at newegg for $80 but since im thinking about OCing (4GHz) when I get water cooling and have read there is some ripple on the 12v rail I was wondering if this is the best choice for me?

Any input would be appriciated, thanks guys.

haxs101

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Corsair is the best brand for PSU in my opinion. I got a TX-650 myself with I7 930 @ 4.1ghz, and a single gtx 580 at 850mhz. Anyways, that PSU should be perfect for your build. I'm guessing you're also going to OC the gpu's also since you said watercooling them also. 650watts would even be nice, but who doesn't want more breathing room and a better piece of mind? 750watts, corsair, and 80 plus, you should be in good shape. Go for the 750 watt.

Corsairs are good, Thermaltake's newer Toughpower XTs are better, and SeaSonics are the best (and more expensive of course). SeaSonic makes a lot of power supplies that are branded with other names.

I'd recommend a Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675W as an absolute minimum, with the 775W model being a better choice.

tango91

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Okay, ill take a look at the Thermaltake XT's, but does anyone know how the Corsair GS series is? I'm guessing not too good, but the red led fan would look great in my case.

Thermaltake may have some acceptable recent models, but nothing I'd choose over Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, or XFX.
Given your future plans, 750W would be very comfortable, and even 650W from one of those brands would be enough. When proper review sites like HardwareSecrets and Jonnyguru test them, they are always good for more than their labeled rating, at realistic temperatures (e.g. 45C).

tango91

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
Why a 950 and not a 2500K?

Well as a college student I have been slowly acquiring the parts for this build, and I got the 950 for $200 on black friday. Plus even now I kinda want the triple channel DDR3.

And the only problem I have read about with the XFX PSU's are they have short cables which means I cant route them behind my motherboard.

And again if anyone has any insight on the Corsair GS (Gaming Series) series that would be terrific.

Thanks for the help guys

Those "acceptable recent models" have been rated higher than recent Antec, Corsair, and XFX models as far as ripple and voltage consistency. And yes, I'm going by HardwareSecrets and JohnnyGuru reviews.

My recommendation will always be SeaSonic X-Series first, then the newer Thermaltake Toughpower XT (the 675W, 775W, and 875W models) then others. Since the new-model Toughpower XT power supplies are less expensive, they tend to be more palatable to the average user than the SeaSonic X-Series.

For the record, I chose a SeaSonic X-series SS-560KM 560W power supply for my new system (the parts will arrive tomorrow). My second choice would have been the Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-675M. The extra wattage would have been overkill for my system though.