Need PSU advice (+mobo, GPU opinion )

Renox92

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Hello everyone. I'm trying to build a budget gaming PC for MOBAs and MMOs at 1080p, which I'd like to be quiet and cool. By 'cool' I mean that it should generate low amount of heat. My current PC (straight from 2007) makes my room hot even when idle, and the summer is coming, so...

Here's what I came up with so far:

• CPU - Core i3 6100 (stock cooler) ($112)
    GPU - GTX 950 ($160) (anything with the same price and perfomance, but more power effficient?)
    RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB 2400 ($35)
    Mobo - Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP ($106) (is it an overkill? mb something cheaper will do)
    SSD - Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB ($43)
    PSU - ???

As you can see I'm trying to cut corners where I can - no 212 hyper evo, and skipped on 250GB evo since it's double the price of what I chose. As for PSU - is Japanese caps and semi-passive cooling a thing in this price range? I know that EVGA ones are a popular choice for budget builds, but I also see a lot of people complaining about how loud they are, which is a deal breaker for me. How do you think I can improve this build?

Solution
Kingston SSD's are not know to be reliable. Sandisk Ultra II, Samsung, Mushkin Reactor, and even Crucial, would be better. Motherboard isn't overkill, but yes you can go cheaper, with a m-atx board. H170 doesn't support DDR4 2400, so you need to stick with 2133. $160 for a GTX 950 is a bit on the high side. You could go a bit cheaper. Between the motherboard savings, and the GPU savings, you could get a better SSD. 120gb is practically useless, as it will fill up way to easily. Also the 212 evo is overrated. Cryorig H7 is a better cooler, for a similar cost.

I am not aware of many complaints for EVGA being loud, either. User reviews should be taken with a grain of salt, regardless. Loud or silent is subjective. I knew a guy that would...

logainofhades

Titan
Kingston SSD's are not know to be reliable. Sandisk Ultra II, Samsung, Mushkin Reactor, and even Crucial, would be better. Motherboard isn't overkill, but yes you can go cheaper, with a m-atx board. H170 doesn't support DDR4 2400, so you need to stick with 2133. $160 for a GTX 950 is a bit on the high side. You could go a bit cheaper. Between the motherboard savings, and the GPU savings, you could get a better SSD. 120gb is practically useless, as it will fill up way to easily. Also the 212 evo is overrated. Cryorig H7 is a better cooler, for a similar cost.

I am not aware of many complaints for EVGA being loud, either. User reviews should be taken with a grain of salt, regardless. Loud or silent is subjective. I knew a guy that would complain about even a smidgen of sound, that most wouldn't even notice. Running joke is he could hear a fly fart from a mile away. :lol:

Anyway, here is something for you to consider. A gtx 950 isn't very power hungry, so 520w is plenty.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($111.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($33.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin Reactor 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($150.89 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $512.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-19 15:22 EDT-0400

Solution