[SOLVED] Need recomendation on a WIFI extender

Jan 26, 2021
I have a shop that is 300 feet from my router. The router is currently connected to an 8 port hub in the shop by way of an underground ethernet cable.
I would like to add WIFI to the shop via the hub. I have search for a wired WIFI extender that can be plugged into a remote hub and just cannot find one.
Any recommendations. Thanks in advance. brian

Solution
You have to be somewhat tech savvy to set up a ubiquiti access point though. It's not a straight forward user interface.
My recommendation for a router, was the simplicity. Asus routers survived TX summers in my garage. I did glue a USB powered fan to it to provide cooling.
Asus routers also have one-button toggle to AP mode built-into the user interface. RT-AC68U is available for $50 used on E-Bay. For lower cost, the RT-N56U is available for $20.

kanewolf

Titan
I have a shop that is 300 feet from my router. The router is currently connected to an 8 port hub in the shop by way of an underground ethernet cable.
I would like to add WIFI to the shop via the hub. I have search for a wired WIFI extender that can be plugged into a remote hub and just cannot find one.
Any recommendations. Thanks in advance. brian
What you want is an access point (AP). Routers can be used as an access point.

Or you can just buy an access point and save yourself a little extra setup.

If your shop is not heated and cooled 24/7, I'd recommend you get a Ubiquiti access point. My previous consumer grade access point would flake out on me when it got too hot in the summer in my shop. Ubiquiti access points are mostly all rated for -30 to 70° C (-22 to 158° F). This is the model that I use inside my shop: https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-access-points/products/unifi-ac-mesh-ap

You have to be somewhat tech savvy to set up a ubiquiti access point though. It's not a straight forward user interface. You need to install Unifi software on your computer, set up wifi SSID and DEPLOY it onto the device. Once the configuration is written onto the device, you can install it in your shop and it'll work very reliably.

kanewolf

Titan
You have to be somewhat tech savvy to set up a ubiquiti access point though. It's not a straight forward user interface.
My recommendation for a router, was the simplicity. Asus routers survived TX summers in my garage. I did glue a USB powered fan to it to provide cooling.
Asus routers also have one-button toggle to AP mode built-into the user interface. RT-AC68U is available for $50 used on E-Bay. For lower cost, the RT-N56U is available for $20.

Solution