Question Need recommendation for triple monitor card for new build.

larry1301

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
I'm looking for a recommendation for a video card for a new build. My present triple monitor setup has two video cards; a GForce GTX 1060 3GB HDMI with a Dell 32" UltraSharp U3219Q 4K monitor and a GTX 730 card driving two 1920x1200 VGA monitors. My present motherboard is X370Killer SLI/AC 64G with a i7-8700K CPU and W10 pro and an SSD boot drive and a 2 tb secondary drive. This setup, when it works is just fine for me. I use this PC primarily for web programming and photoshop for my web site. Almost no gaming. The problem with this setup is that the second video card sometimes goes away and can't be found. I woke up this morning to "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)". This is the third time that this has happened to me. After numerous attempts to delete/install/reinstall drivers and about 2 hours of wasted time I got all three monitors back. The present build is almost 4 years old. Rather than mess with anymore, I'm going to do a new build.

The only thing I need help with is the video card. As I mentioned above almost no gaming. Actually its not a consideration. Programming a web site and Photoshop are my only real requirements. Ocassional Poker and videos are a secondary consideration. The GForce GTX 1060 and GTX 730 in my present build are sufficient. What I would like is a single card to drive all three monitors. I will keep the 32" Dell 4K as my main monitor and get cheap 24" 1920x1200 HDMI/Display port monitors for the other two. The Dell can be either HDMI or display port.

Can I use a single card for all three? and if so what is a recommendation. If two cards are required, what ones? The # of cards will drive my motherboard selection. Since I'm not doing gaming, the cards need not be expensive. I would rather put most of my money in the CPU/Memory/Motherboard.

The rest of the specs will be at least as good as my present build. Everything else will follow the video card selection. Most of the parts will be purchased from newegg.

The more I have been looking at video cards, the more confused I have gotten so I am asking for help here. Thanks.

Last edited:
The 1060 alone should be able to run a triple setup. afaik every card from the 600 series and up can do that. Only limitation might be the ports on your card and the ports on your screens. I was running a triple setup on my old 660 Ti and the only reason I use my current 1060 together with the iGPU is because of a lack of HDMI/DVI ports.

Another benefit of a single card would obviously less driver conflicts. the GT 730 is old and so are their drives while the 1060 still gets updates.
As you said VGA monitors, I assume you mean the good old, blue d-sub port, which will not be available on any recent card. If those monitors also have DVI the chances are better, as DVI and HDMI are practically interchangeable, so a simple adapter (or fitting cable) should do the job. Which means I would check for a card that has enough of these ports.

TRENDING THREADS