need recommendation for videocard upgrade

machine is a couple years old dell dimension 4100

I'd like to change the nVidia TNT2 32mb card for something with 128-256mb
videomemory in order to run higher resolution and faster/better DirectX
performance

can someone tell what you bought and if you would buy same card today or
something new?

is it true that I have to watch out for powerusage on the new card?

Ryan

susan bander wrote:
> machine is a couple years old dell dimension 4100
>
> I'd like to change the nVidia TNT2 32mb card for something with 128-256mb
> videomemory in order to run higher resolution and faster/better DirectX
> performance
>
> can someone tell what you bought and if you would buy same card today or
> something new?
>
> is it true that I have to watch out for powerusage on the new card?

well it depends what you want to spend, i got my GeForce FX 5700 Ultra
for 168 at newegg.com. i love it, it plays all my games at great
settings. but if you want to spend less i would recommend the 5700,
nothing lower especially 5200 or 5600.

"Ryan" <ryan5001sk8@verizon.net> wrote
> well it depends what you want to spend, i got my GeForce FX 5700 Ultra
> for 168 at newegg.com. i love it

Presently at newegg you can get an fx5900xt for $175-$200, which is much
faster, but does use more power. It needs one of those little power
connectors that go to your hard disks.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

In which case you'd better have a PSU that is up to the task. When I
replaced my GF4Ti4200 with a FX5700, I started getting power anomalies up
the ying yang. My poor 350W just ain't up to the task anymore.

On Sat, 01 May 2004 22:00:32 GMT, "susan bander" <sbander@cnn.com>
wrote:

>machine is a couple years old dell dimension 4100

what is that? CPU / memoryt / speed etc

>I'd like to change the nVidia TNT2 32mb card for something with 128-256mb
>videomemory in order to run higher resolution and faster/better DirectX
>performance

128-256mb doesn't make the card. A 256mb GF-5600 is still slower
than a 2yr old 64mb GF4-Ti4200.

How much do you want to spend?

What games do you plan to play?

Does your dell have an AGP slot?

If your PC is too old - anything more than a junky 5600 would be fine.

>can someone tell what you bought and if you would buy same card today or
>something new?
>
>is it true that I have to watch out for powerusage on the new card?

A 5600 should be okay. or ATI 9600.

Remember: In the USA - it is illegal to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called.

15yr old boy in Washington was disciplined for drawing such images.

God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.

user

Splendid

susan bander wrote:

> machine is a couple years old dell dimension 4100
>
> I'd like to change the nVidia TNT2 32mb card for something with 128-256mb
> videomemory in order to run higher resolution and faster/better DirectX
> performance
>
> can someone tell what you bought and if you would buy same card today or
> something new?
>
> is it true that I have to watch out for powerusage on the new card?

You might want to say what the CPU is, cause if it can limit performance
such that a $80 video card won't perform any different than a $200 card.