Question Need recommendations for a wireless network adapter

raptormoonx

Distinguished
May 19, 2014
Hello!

My ISP wants to upgrade our wireless network G gateway to AC. I'm still trying to convince my parents that this needs to be done and it won't cost them anything extra, but that's not why I'm here. The person I've been talking to at AT&T said we'd need to get wireless network adapters for our laptops to be able to access the AC standard. They currently have wireless N cards installed, and my friend at a local computer store said replacing the card wouldn't be possible.

What do you recommend for the wireless network AC adapters? I need something small, that won't stick out of the computer too much. My parents are older and I have Cerebral Palsy, so we have a tendency to accidentally hit things if they stick out too much on the laptops.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i use this https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-adapters/a6210.aspx it is a bit bigger but it has a usb doc that would let you move it away from the laptop itself and only have the usb cable sticking out.

never used this one but they do have really small ones available
https://www.newegg.com/kuwfi-ac1200kf-mini-card/p/0XM-00VP-00020

if your internal wifi card is removable as most are, then you should be able to buy an AC card to swap with it with. since they are putting them into new laptops, they should be available for purchase somewhere. though it is possible it is soldered to the motherboard which may be why the guy you talked to said it could not be updated.

kanewolf

Titan
Since AC is a 5Ghz thing, if you are not in the same room as the WIFI source, you will see very little difference in performance. If you use 2.4Ghz, you will see no difference.
"N" standard interfaces come in two flavors, single or dual band. If you have a dual band N adapter, you might do better to save your money for something else.