[SOLVED] Need recommendations for in ceiling POE WiFi access points

Nov 26, 2020
Dear forum members,

6000 sq ft 2 story house. There are 3 in ceiling WiFi access points - one on 2nd floor and 2 on first floor. Small back yard.

Media closet in 2nd floor where router will be placed with other equipments.

I am looking for in ceiling POE WiFi access points. I under stand only available will be WiFi 5 and dual band for this set up. I understand it's better to have system which will be wired back haul. I understand it's better to have wired access points if possible hence I got house prewired.

I need recommendations - which brand and model no. Will it come with router?

I will have spectrum internet.

The person who wired in ceiling wifi access points suggested eero mesh network but I am wondering then why did he make me spend money on in ceiling wifi access points?!!

Thank You

Solution
I can wait till January for WiFi 6 if they will be released by then.

Are 3 units good enough to cover 6000 sq ft? Which one should I choose? UAP-HD is quite expensive (at 349) so left between UAP-nanoHD (179) and UAP-AC-PRO (149). Do I need POE switch for these too?

I can get Unifi dream machine (router, access point all in one) but can not put it on ceiling. So I have to use it as a router and connect other 3 in ceiling ubiquitous wifi access points to it. You mentioned I will need to buy POE switch for it. It seems Dream machine is priced at 299. Would any other router be recommended or they will will be equally expensive?
My guess is no. 3 APs are not enough for 6000sq ft. I have 3 in 2000sq ft. The best way to...
Anybody that recommends a mesh system over wired AP is a fool. Then again the guys who do wiring would make lots more if they understood wireless network design and installation.

The units many people like are made by ubiquiti. They have a couple of different models so you will have to look through and decide which you like. Although they cost a bit more I would get the ones that can run the standard 802.3af power rather than their proprietary form. The costs is around what you will pay for consumer grade brands but it has many more features closer to enterprise equipment. The key one is it has a central control unit that is free. It is not required and many people only use it to configure the AP.

You can also buy one of the many ubiquiti routers if you want. Most people do not need all the extra features and they are a little more complex to configure than a consumer router. It is mostly going to be which you prefer you can use any router with the AP.

Reactions: SamirD

kanewolf

Titan
The units many people like are made by ubiquiti. They have a couple of different models so you will have to look through and decide which you like. Although they cost a bit more I would get the ones that can run the standard 802.3af power rather than their proprietary form.
All of the current Ubiquiti APs are standard 802.3af. They have WIFI6 hardware in their beta test right now.
They have an "all in one" unit that is a router, AP and controller. It does NOT have POE. You would need an additional POE switch. The 8 port 60W switch would handle 3APs. Plus you would get a fourth AP with the one built into the router -- https://store.ui.com/collections/routing-switching/products/unifi-dream-machine
The nanoHD -- https://unifi-nanohd.ui.com/ is their newest model of ceiling mount units.

I have a complete Ubiquiti household network so I can answer specifics.

Reactions: SamirD
As the others have mentioned, Ubiquiti access points were made for installations like yours.

However, I seriously question the existing work of the contractor considering they don't know this. I would specifically be worried about the termination for all the cabling and that the runs all work correctly. It is amazing that even 25 years after my parents' house ethernet installation in 1995 on a new construction that contractors are still making the same mistakes today and still think they're doing it correctly. :rolleyes:

Nov 26, 2020
All of the current Ubiquiti APs are standard 802.3af. They have WIFI6 hardware in their beta test right now.
They have an "all in one" unit that is a router, AP and controller. It does NOT have POE. You would need an additional POE switch. The 8 port 60W switch would handle 3APs. Plus you would get a fourth AP with the one built into the router -- https://store.ui.com/collections/routing-switching/products/unifi-dream-machine
The nanoHD -- https://unifi-nanohd.ui.com/ is their newest model of ceiling mount units.

I have a complete Ubiquiti household network so I can answer specifics.

Are 3 units good enough to cover 6000 sq ft? Which one should I choose? UAP-HD is quite expensive (at 349) so left between UAP-nanoHD (179) and UAP-AC-PRO (149). Do I need POE switch for these too?

I can get Unifi dream machine (router, access point all in one) but can not put it on ceiling. So I have to use it as a router and connect other 3 in ceiling ubiquitous wifi access points to it. You mentioned I will need to buy POE switch for it. It seems Dream machine is priced at 299. Would any other router be recommended or they will will be equally expensive?

kanewolf

Titan

My guess is no. 3 APs are not enough for 6000sq ft. I have 3 in 2000sq ft. The best way to determine your requirements is by doing a site survey -- https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037694253-UniFi-Performing-a-Wireless-Site-Survey -- Since the power output from a device is much lower than the power from an AP, you want to measure the received power at the AP as well as the power received by the device.
I already recommended the nanoHD.
You would not put the dream machine on the ceiling. You would put it in the closet where your ethernet cables come together. Or where your modem is.
The dream machine is three devices in one. That is why it is more expensive.
You can use any router with Ubiquiti access points. And you don't have to have a controller.
I wouldn't hesitate because of WIFI6. WIFI6e would be worth waiting for.

Solution
It's not even there in the enterprise where money isn't an object. A reliable version available in consumer devices at a price less than ridiculous is over a year away. The current Ubiquiti units will probably outperform it anyways as reliable distributed signal is better than flaky standards to boost peak speeds.