need recommendations on what brand, specific computer tool..

Hello

I'm looking for recommendation on what brands and specific tool kits
to buy. I had a cheap, about 10-piece kit, but it got lost in a
recent move. It had some regular screwdrivers, a few mini-style
screwdrivers, a chip extractor, tweezers, a screw/connector/jumper/
box, and came in a crummy zipper case. Got that one at a trade show a
few years back as a freebie.

Whatever I get, in addition to the above I'd like the kit to have a
wire stripper/cutter, a soldering iron, needle-nose pliers and a
ratchet driver with standard/phlips/torx/square bits. A small
flashlight would be nice.

Amazon has a Belkin 55-piece kit for $34.98:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004Z6XS/qid=1116978821/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/102-3131651-8586517?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

Buy.com has a Fellowes 55-peice kit for $33.88:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10325579&loc=101&hdwt=0&sp=1

No soldering iron with the Fellowes, it does have a voltage tester.

Both have free shipping available, and both are priced about 40% off.
None of local stores have much available but the cheap 8-to-20 piece
kits, or very expensive kits with LAN and/or electrical tools.

Anyone have/used either of these? Are the tools of good quality?

Any other brands or specific kits I should consider? I don't need a
nice case or anything, as I plan to put all the tools I get into a
small tollbox that I have. I'd like to keep the price below $50.

Trevor Smithson wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm looking for recommendation on what brands and specific tool kits
> to buy. I had a cheap, about 10-piece kit, but it got lost in a
> recent move. It had some regular screwdrivers, a few mini-style
> screwdrivers, a chip extractor, tweezers, a screw/connector/jumper/
> box, and came in a crummy zipper case. Got that one at a trade show a
> few years back as a freebie.
>
> Whatever I get, in addition to the above I'd like the kit to have a
> wire stripper/cutter, a soldering iron, needle-nose pliers and a
> ratchet driver with standard/phlips/torx/square bits. A small
> flashlight would be nice.
>
> Amazon has a Belkin 55-piece kit for $34.98:
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004Z6XS/qid=1116978821/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/102-3131651-8586517?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

That's not going to be good quality at all.

In the UK, I have to spend $34.98 on a *single* tool (pliers) or twice
that for a decent set of Torx drivers.

You have it great in the states - half price - or even less.

Depends on how serious you were; if you have to have the best, and want
something that will last forever, get something like snap-on. Better to
buy a blank tool case and build it up with exactly what you need.

I can't stand those "cheapie" "computer engineer's" toolkits - one tight
screw and the damn stuff just breaks.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk

Stephen

On Wed, 25 May 2005 00:58:02 GMT, Trevor Smithson
<trevor_smithson@yahoo.com> had a flock of green cheek conures squawk
out:

>Hello
>
>I'm looking for recommendation on what brands and specific tool kits
>to buy. I had a cheap, about 10-piece kit, but it got lost in a
>recent move. It had some regular screwdrivers, a few mini-style
>screwdrivers, a chip extractor, tweezers, a screw/connector/jumper/
>box, and came in a crummy zipper case. Got that one at a trade show a
>few years back as a freebie.
>
>Whatever I get, in addition to the above I'd like the kit to have a
>wire stripper/cutter, a soldering iron, needle-nose pliers and a
>ratchet driver with standard/phlips/torx/square bits. A small
>flashlight would be nice.

You can make your own tool kit at http://www.jensentools.com/

Stephen

o Identify what you need
o Quality on that used most - or fragile items (micro-screwdrivers)

Frankly you probably don't need that much for PC usage...
o Screwdriver, nutdriver, tweezers -- Quality screwdriver re tip
o Spare jumpers -- Micro (HDs) as well as Large (PCs)
o Mechanical jaw-action wire stripper -- Elliott Lucas re proper jaws
o Soldering iron -- eg, Antex (look after the bit, wet cloth/sponge)
o Needle nose pliars -- quality subject to usage
o Power splitter -- SATA & ATA
o PC screws -- 3.5" use 6/32-UNC (DEPTH ingress limit), 2.5" use M3
o Cable tie bases -- screw type (adhesive falls off), cable ties
o Soft velco cable ties -- easily undone
o Hand blower -- blow dust out of heatsink mainly (camera shop)
o Anti-static plug/strap -- unplug power cord, 1M-ohm+ resistor
o Alcohol wipes -- re CPUs memory contacts
o Rubber mat -- for putting the PC on (rippled rubber carpet underlay)

If you want a ratchet driver...
o Either use magnetic bits in a cordless drill
---- not so great for PCs -- most threads easily stripped by overtorquing
o Use a hand ratchet driver which limits torque
---- come in various levels of quality

Quality as far as you wish to go - SnapOn down to HomeDepot SnapOff.

I would put the effort on...
o Screwdriver -- tip quality matters, slip = damage SMT components/tracks
o Wire strippers -- IF you use them regularly
o Soft velco cable ties -- softer on cables (but bigger re airflow obstruction)
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for NMB & Panaflo (MMM) fans, free shipping