need recommendations on what brand, specific computer tool..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

Hello

I'm looking for recommendation on what brands and specific tool kits
to buy. I had a cheap, about 10-piece kit, but it got lost in a
recent move. It had some regular screwdrivers, a few mini-style
screwdrivers, a chip extractor, tweezers, a screw/connector/jumper/
box, and came in a crummy zipper case. Got that one at a trade show a
few years back as a freebie.

Whatever I get, in addition to the above I'd like the kit to have a
wire stripper/cutter, a soldering iron, needle-nose pliers and a
ratchet driver with standard/phlips/torx/square bits. A small
flashlight would be nice.

Amazon has a Belkin 55-piece kit for $34.98:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004Z6XS/qid=1116978821/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/102-3131651-8586517?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

Buy.com has a Fellowes 55-peice kit for $33.88:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10325579&loc=101&hdwt=0&sp=1

No soldering iron with the Fellowes, it does have a voltage tester.

Both have free shipping available, and both are priced about 40% off.
None of local stores have much available but the cheap 8-to-20 piece
kits, or very expensive kits with LAN and/or electrical tools.

Anyone have/used either of these? Are the tools of good quality?

Any other brands or specific kits I should consider? I don't need a
nice case or anything, as I plan to put all the tools I get into a
small tollbox that I have. I'd like to keep the price below $50.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

Both belkin and fellows are mediocre quality. I'd say go to a decent
hardware store and pick out what you need.

My kit consists of both regular and philips screwdrivers in size 1, 2
and 3. A set of extra-small instrument maker screwdrivers. Some tiny
pliers and a tiny wirecutter, a cable stripper and an RJ45 crimp tool.
I'm meaning to get me a set of torx screwdrivers as well.

Jeroen

Trevor Smithson wrote:

> I'm looking for recommendation on what brands and specific tool kits
> to buy. I had a cheap, about 10-piece kit, but it got lost in a

Over the years I've seen those pc toolkits and such and often they come
with tools that are either too cheaply made or tools you dont need.
Personally, I've always found it best to get the ones I need
individually, even tho it costs more.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/